New build, Houston (Cypress), Tx

Definitely less stressful!! Skylar18 you have a beautiful setup with a cool fire/water combo AND you have a BGE!! :mrgreen:

It has rained a ton today. PB added two gallons of acid today, pH is at about 7.2, down from over 8.2 this morning. I always thought pH would be the hard thing to balance in this pool and it appears to be so.

Another nighttime shot.

cbink,

I followed your build all they way through. Just can't believe how amazing everything turned out, bet you and the family are thrilled.
Every new picture you post makes me want to get to the finish line that much faster!
Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

scruben said:
cbink,

I followed your build all they way through. Just can't believe how amazing everything turned out, bet you and the family are thrilled.
Every new picture you post makes me want to get to the finish line that much faster!
Thanks for sharing the journey with us.
Thank you. We are super happy with it. The water is starting to go the blue we were hoping and we just absolutely love it. Our son LOVES 'his' pool! :mrgreen:

sd_dave said:
Looks great CBink! Glad to see you are finally swimming!
Thanks!! Are you all done yet? Love your barstools - have they had much use yet?! :wink:
We bought palms for the planters today. Two Silvestres and a triple pigmy. They are being delivered in Friday.

You gotts send pics of the deck once they get working on that. I also had a question, do you know about what it was per ft for your deck? We are doing something similar to yours, I have a 500sq ft flagstone deck but then I am doing the 2 color skin pattern with some flagstone ribbons and was looking at doing the border like you have and the PB wants to charge a small fortune for that saying there is a lot of extra work that goes into it. I just wanted ot see if yours was that way as well. Thank s cant wait to see the finished project it is amazing so far

Huskers16 said:
You gotts send pics of the deck once they get working on that. I also had a question, do you know about what it was per ft for your deck? We are doing something similar to yours, I have a 500sq ft flagstone deck but then I am doing the 2 color skin pattern with some flagstone ribbons and was looking at doing the border like you have and the PB wants to charge a small fortune for that saying there is a lot of extra work that goes into it. I just wanted ot see if yours was that way as well. Thank s cant wait to see the finished project it is amazing so far

I'll break it down as best I can - I only have the total price but I also have the estimated square footage and can give you the price from that.

I have 1100sqft of new concrete pad - this was $6.50/sqft
I have 1350 sqft of the overlay (1100 new plus 250 existing) which was an additional $4.50/sqft
The flagstone border around the outside was $2500 and is listed as 250 linear feet so I'm guessing $10/ft.

It was a little more difficult for them to do as it involved 2 sets of forms so that the flagstone would sit at the same height as the rest of the deck, but nothing major and the entire pour was done in one go.

In this shot, you can see what I mean - the deck was poured but the flagstone border was not done yet so you can see the 'shelf' the flagstone will sit on. It's no different to doing coping (the same guys did it) and they knocked all of the flagstone border out in one day.

I'm really glad we did it, as we really like how it turned out but it certainly did add a little to the cost.
I just spoke to my wife and the decking guys were just getting there as she was going out this morning so I should have decking shots in a few days. I was going to wait until Friday to post any more pictures as the sprinklers will be done, decking will be done, palms are being planted Friday morning and yard should get sod on Friday too.

Good luck with your build! :party:

Thank you, I appreciate it and cant wait to see the finished product. I thought he was Extremely high, he is wanting to charge about $33 a ft for the border which I told him he was out of his mind. I could see if may cost a little more but not that much

You're welcome. $33/ft does seem high to me.

Here is a better shot of the double forms. This was the only complication as far as I remember. I did get a lot of stonework done so it's possible he got a discount on it for me.

My brushing is paying off! :)
Starting to see the color come through now!

They're laying the base coat for the stamped overlay today. It should be finished tomorrow.

Had a bad day of sprinklers yesterday. They guy that was meant to be doing it came round, dug a load of trenches, said he couldn't figure it out so I ended up pulling the plug on that as I was losing confidence (I have a leak under my deck and want the main line re-run to prevent any issues down the road) having to get someone else to do it.

Of course, the trenches were left open and it's hit my schedule because I had it scheduled it like this to get them in before the sod gets done on Friday. Now that is not going to happen. I'm really fed up looking at dirt but it will make the sprinkler guys jobs a lot harder if I put sod down first... Either way I spent 2.5 hours last night after putting my son down filling in the trenches. I'm about 75% done but gave up at 10.30pm as I was struggling to really see what I was doing (and I was knackered). Guess I'll do the rest tonight after work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
KenGood said:
The sprinkler guy must have gotten really frustrated about it just to walk off. So sorry. This kind of stuff just drives me crazy! Are you in charge of pool yet? Looking good!
Yes. The PB is still coming each day but I'm doing it now. My pH is a pain, it holds, holds, holds then goes up really quickly! Starting to get more of a 'feel' for it though.

As for the sprinkler guy, I actually told him to stop. Instead of cutting the main line by the cut off valve and running an entire new main line around the pool like I had asked he was trying to find the leaks and fix them. Since I had told him I had at least one leak under the deck next to the pool (I knew this prior to the deck being laid as I'd tested it) I did not want it repaired with a chance it may be leaking there. He ran the system for a few minutes until water came through the gaps in the deck which is precisely what I didn't want them to do. It shouldn't do any long term damage but it was unnecessary and wasn't what I had asked them to do. I need new control wires run anyway as they got cut too so I just don't get what they were thinking.

They are doing the base coat for the stamped decking today. Then will apply to top coat tomorrow. Sod is getting done on Thursday, palms (triple pygmy and 2 sylvesters) are arriving for the planters on Friday.

Hi
Looked at your artists impression on the first page and the finished pool WHAT a difference the artists impression does not do it justice.
Just goes to show what a little imagination can do. GREAT pool

Cbink,

How are you chlorinating your pool for the first month (until you turn on the SWG)? Also, what pointers can you give me from the first week of you being in charge of the pool?

Also, love the overflow from the spa to the pool. It is really nice.

KenGood said:
Cbink,

How are you chlorinating your pool for the first month (until you turn on the SWG)? Also, what pointers can you give me from the first week of you being in charge of the pool?

Also, love the overflow from the spa to the pool. It is really nice.
Ken, the PB started it up with pucks (he also plumbed in an inline chlorinator for emergencies) so given that its 3 weeks until salt startup I am just going to use pucks too for the first month.

What I've learned:

Don't underestimate how long brushing will take. You have a much bigger pool than me and I don't envy you having to brush it all. I've struggled but have done it at least twice a day every day. The grotto for me makes access to the wall below it difficult. My spa and curved steps are also difficult to brush due to their shape. All in all it takes me about 45 mins now to brush the whole pool. Not a whole lot of time and fine for a weekend but an extra 1.5 hours a day during the week is kinda tough. Worth it though.

pH. It's a pain. :mrgreen: after 5 days its slowly starting to become a bit more predictable.

Chlorine: I've had no issues with chlorine. It's been easy to maintain.

Color. Don't panic. My pool looked like Mountain Dew when I filled it up. The PB had warned me about this. 5 days of brushing and the introduction of chems and its looking blue.

Enjoy!!

bof said:
Hi
Looked at your artists impression on the first page and the finished pool WHAT a difference the artists impression does not do it justice.
Just goes to show what a little imagination can do. GREAT pool
Thank you for the compliments! He also sent us a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ_Vy24QSg
The video really helped us (my wife in particular) get a feel for how it was going to look. I'm completely used to seeing lines drawings and getting an idea of how something looks but my wife is a very visual person and needed the video. We are more than thrilled with how it came out - it's better than we hoped and we had pretty high expectations. We're super happy with how the water color is turning out too. It's just perfect. Definitely a dream come true for us.

Wow, I knew there was some care involved in the overlay decking process but holy cow these guys are detailed. They've spent the best part of 3 hours measuring, taping, using a square, measuring, taping, measuring, taping... The pattern is looking amazing. They have to tape it all out before they can start applying the product. They're nowhere near done on the taping... I'd say at least another few hours at the very least. Then they apply the texture with the base color. Then I believe that has to dry before they apply the highlighting color. Can't wait to see it all finished it will bring it all together.

Have a lot of work ahead of me tonight. I haven't been well so need haven't finished filling the trenches dug by the first sprinkler guy. Have to do it tonight so that sod can get laid tomorrow. Not looking forward to it one little bit. Have to get it done so just gonna have to knuckle down, no matter how I feel.

WOW!!! We are starting our build in about a week and have been lurking/stealing ideas from your build. We were set on spraying the deck, but now I don't know what to do. The overlay is gorgeous! Your entire project looks great, enjoy and keep the updates coming (can't wait to see the TV and outdoor kitchen). :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.