New Build Fill Help

kpic

Feb 21, 2021
California Bay Area
We completed an in ground 20x40, micro pebble, 22,000 gallon pool and filled it about 3 weeks ago. We will be using a SWG but haven't turned it on yet. We have a robot and I've been brushing. I've been to the local pool store several times to get the water tested but I'm still not getting everything in the correct ranges and my builder hasnt been very helpful with chemical advice. What should I be focusing on first? I know the copper is high but the salesperson wasnt sure if i could treat it with new pebble. Any advice? What else should I be doing at this point to get everything off to a good start?

Current results from Leslies testing
Free chlorine: 0.12
PH: 8.1
Alkalinity: 205
Hardness: 229
Cyanuric Acid: 34
Iron: 0.1
Copper: 0.3

Last edited:
You asked "What else should I be doing at this point to get everything off to a good start?" and my answer is STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM POOL STORES!!
All you get from pool stores is bad testing with frequently inaccurate results, sales push for products that you don't need or that you could buy elsewhere for a fraction of the cost if you only knew what they were. Another joy for new pool owners is how pool stores sell them "product A" to lower something, and at the same time "Product B" which raises that same "something" at the same time! They do NOT understand pool chemistry. That's why they depend on a sales sheet that a printer spits out.

You need a GOOD test kit. Owner testing is what TFP is all about. No one cares more for your pool water's condition or protecting your pool's surface and condition more than you.

Taylor K-2006C (the C is important) and the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test kit. <---Order online, rare to find the right kits in stores locally.

Has your PB given you specific instructions for the first 28 days or month? Have you registered your warranty online (if not, do so).

Has the PB told you its okay to use a pool robot this early? Many forbid before 30 days because it can leave tracks in the finish.

Are you brushing like the new pool instructions say to do??? Very important to help rid water and pool surface of excess plaster dust.

Consider your CYA (stabilizer) as 40ppm. There is no way to easily measure increments between 30 and 40.... its a Logarithmic scale, not linear.

Until you get your test kit please add 1 gallon of LIQUID CHLORINE (LC) per day and brush. We want to avoid algae in this new pool and as it looks right now you have Zero FC.

That's all to do until you get your own test kit (see above) and run all the tests. We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

If you'll get those to us ASAP we can help you head off problems down the road.

I'm also very concerned about how your pool has metals in it (already)? Cheap algaecides perhaps?? No Bueno.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you very much for your reply! I felt like I would have more instructions for the fill process so I'm feeling really lost at this point. I don't want to cause any damage or long term problems by doing it wrong.

I have this test kit already and I will do my own testing ASAP and post the results.

My builder was more helpful up until plaster, but I've been given basically no advice or instructions since filling other than he doesn't do the chemicals and I need to "go to Leslie's" for chemical start up. The plaster was a sub contractor and again, I was given no info from them. I know we have finest finish micro pebble.

The metals maybe because we are on well water?

I have been brushing! At least I have that going for me ;-p

Last edited:
I did my own test and this is what I got ... This is my first time doing these tests so please feel free to let me know if something looks way off and I need to re try.
FC - 1.5? Not sure if I did this right, I never really got the mixture to turn very pink even after add a lot of the R-0870
CC - 2.5? Not sure if I started with the right FC number so not sure if this is off as well
PH - 8.0
TA - 275
CH - 300
CYA - 50
Salt - 600

FC - 1.5? Not sure if I did this right, I never really got the mixture to turn very pink even after add a lot of the R-0870 You used 10cc of pool water and one heaping or two level blue scoops of DPD powder, right? If so, your FC is 1.5 if it took 3 drops of 0871 reagent.
CC - 2.5? Not sure if I started with the right FC number so not sure if this is off as well You have to perform this portion of the test almost immediately because the FC test turns back to pink soon after you get your results. Be ready with the 5 drops of reagent for the CC test and *if* the sample turns pink again count the drops it takes to clear it again. Divide the number of drops by half and that's your CC.
PH - 8.0 Can add muriatic acid to lower
TA - 275 Ignore this for now... not needed to fix until everything else done.
CH - 300 If your pool has a liner, you don't need ANY calcium. If your pool is plaster its fine to start.
CYA - 50 For CYA of 50, your SLAM process level is 20ppm of FC. Kept up until pool is clear, etc. IF pool clear FC should be 6-8ppm til you turn on the SWG.
Salt - 600 Salt is a byproduct of all chemicals as they break down.

Soooooo... get crackin'....get that FC up to 8 and enjoy the pool :)

I just tested again after adding chlorine (maybe too much!) but here are the numbers.
FC - 12.5 or 9.8?
CC - 1.5 based on the 10 ml sample
*I did a 10ml sample, 2 scoops of r-0870 and it took 25 drops to turn clear. Which would be 12.5, so then I did a 25ml sample, 2 scoops of r-0870 and it took 49 drops to clear which would be 9.8. These both seem high and pretty far apart. Any advice?
PH - 8.0
TA - 250
CH - 350
CYA - 100

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.