New build

My pool builder came out this week, saw my wet micro pebble samples gleaming in the sun and said he is glad to install and appreciates why I chose it over the rougher mini pebble. Once he talks to the installer he will have places for me to see the finish. I do not know if it matches your time frame. It would be great for you to bring it to the east coast. (FYI I grew up in the NE corner of NJ near High Point State Park).
We’re on the eastern side of Pennsylvania just south of Allentown so not too far away. Our concrete still needs to set for several weeks so if you happen to get any pictures of the micro finish, particularly Moraine or Kenai Gray (which is what we’re really interested in!) please share!

Lap pool for the win! We designed our pool at 40' so I could "kinda of" swim laps, and then stumbled across an Endless Pool Fast Lane Pro in my areas for a steal ($700 still with shrink wrap) so we were able to get it built-in with the shell. Looks great!

Jim,
Sent too soon. I want to also thank your for bringing the space around the back of the pool to my attention. There will be a 12" planter next to the retaining wall and then the 12" coping all around the pool. However, I am now gathering, as you noted, that 12" coping up against the planter is likely not enough room for ease of walking or the pool guy to clean. I will talk to pool builder as well as our landscaper (who work in conjunction) to be sure there is enough space between the planter and the coping. I am thinking we will need another 1/2-1' more and could add our artificial grass between planter and coping. Although this will push to pool closer into the yard, logic and practicality wins. The shortest distance between the pool and decking is 6', we were trying to not lose another foot yet we may need to shift the extra foot it from the front to the back of the pool. I just missed this one and no one but you caught it! The pool builder said when he lays it out in string we can make any adjustments. Now I have one! Without seeing plants there and only dirt no one may have caught this. From your experience, how many feet from waters edge do you think we need before hitting a plant? ( 1', 1.5', 2'?) If the yard space was not tight it would not be an issue. Thanks again, Ellen M
Update - Spoke to landscaper today & later the PB. They said the blueprints have accounted for this. The plan has a 12" planter at retaining wall for color, another open 12" (likely it will be turf) and then start of the 12" coping. They said we should be good. Landscaper prefers 1.5' of turf for looks; we will revisit once we determined where the retaining wall rebar is located. Once I see the layout in my yard, 5.5' vs 6' at shortest point to decking may not look much different. Thanks, Ellen M
Pool to marble decking shortest point 6'.jpg

We’re on the eastern side of Pennsylvania just south of Allentown so not too far away. Our concrete still needs to set for several weeks so if you happen to get any pictures of the micro finish, particularly Moraine or Kenai Gray (which is what we’re really interested in!) please share!
I will text PB to remember to ask installer as we really want to see it sooner vs later. I appreciate your anxiety! Unless you want rougher or weather issues, I'd say go for it as it is still pebble finish. If I succeed, you will hear from me.

Lap pool for the win! We designed our pool at 40' so I could "kinda of" swim laps, and then stumbled across an Endless Pool Fast Lane Pro in my areas for a steal ($700 still with shrink wrap) so we were able to get it built-in with the shell. Looks great!
Oops, I missed your post yesterday! I am delighted you were able to add the Fast Lane Pro. Our pool builder recommended installing the BADU Swim Jet system ( Badu®Stream II – SwimJet System | SPECK Pumps ) https://www.badujet.com/badustream-ii/. We hope to have a swimable pool before end in 19-23 week. Enjoy swimming! Ellen M

Just an update...we went to the NPT showroom today. We first asked about micro pebble and they said they didn’t have the pebble ingredients for it. We then asked about mini pebbles and after a few minutes were advised that they have NO pebbles right now. We then asked what color quartz finishes they had. The gentleman went in the back came out and apologized, stating that they are completely out of plaster and therefore NO pool finishes are available (They had gotten a truckload in last week, but it is already gone). He also stated that they are out of most tile as well and that people are settling for their “seventh or eighth“ choice!!! He *claims* it is a nationwide shortage.

Just an update...we went to the NPT showroom today. We first asked about micro pebble and they said they didn’t have the pebble ingredients for it. We then asked about mini pebbles and after a few minutes were advised that they have NO pebbles right now. We then asked what color quartz finishes they had. The gentleman went in the back came out and apologized, stating that they are completely out of plaster and therefore NO pool finishes are available (They had gotten a truckload in last week, but it is already gone). He also stated that they are out of most tile as well and that people are settling for their “seventh or eighth“ choice!!! He *claims* it is a nationwide shortage.
Hi. I wanted to hear back from the PB before replying. He noted, that it is true that NPT is out of stock on a lot of material. It is a very fluid situation. They do receive new material all the time. It appears to be a one day at a time. Hopefully you did get your interior finish since your reply last Tuesday.

We finally got our permit (after 152 days/21.7 wks of waiting!). We are expecting the layout on Thursday and then excavation. Updates to follow!

Today 5.27.21 is the official start of our pool build (5.5 months of waiting for our city of San Diego permit). The layout shows our 8'x49' lap pool with an 8'x6' attached spa. The dig starts tomorrow! Excited, Ellen
Our 8'x49' lap pool+ 8'x6' spa.jpg

Reactions: BlueWave8 and KBR
Orange lines have finally moved! Our dig has started. :) We had quite the delay moving from the orange lines to the wood framing to the dig! Truck loads of roots and dirt are gone. Truck loads of dirt still moving today and hopefully the depth dig to start late this afternoon. Updates to continue.
2021 06.15 ground level.JPG2021 06.15 Dig start*.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool/Spa dig completed by a wonderful meticulous excavator.. :) Spa 6'x8' with 1' spa wall shown in orange) and 48'x8' lap pool with 23' of 4' with slow grade to the deep end. The orange line at deep end of our pool represents the 5' solid vinyl fence which will be hiding our pool equipment. Comments welcomed, Ellen
2021 06.18 Pool from spa-shallow side & some marble & water tile pic.JPG2021 06.18 Pool:Spa Dig close up. Spa Wall marked.JPG2021 06.18 Dig finished-view standing at deep end.JPG

Thank you for all the wonderful information on this forum. We are now preparing for rebar/steel work on end of this week.

My current questions are: a) should I stay with 2 skimmers (I am thinking yes) and b) should I have 3 or 4 full-size returns? Our spa is 8'x6' and the lap pool is 8'x48'.

At the post dig visit, my PB mentioned we really only needs one skimmer but is fine providing two.

PB contract and email details state:

Skimmers
  • Includes dedicated cleaner line with valve right in the middle
  • Includes two (2) commercial grade skimmers with dedicated suction line, 15' from each end on the house facing side
  • He agrees to not tie the skimmers to the main drain (as suggested by someone of this forum)
Returns
  • The pool has 3 fullsize 1.5 inch return lines with waterway flush mount adjustable eyeball fittings.
  • Includes strategically place pool returns throughout the pool to try to circulate the water. PB notes he usually install them to push water towards the skimmer for better skimming action. He notes he can add a dedicated deep heat return at the deep end for better mixing when the heater is on. Return locations to be determined.
Thank you for any comments on any part of our pool build. Feedback welcomed, Ellen

Get 2 skimmers. If you only have one, and it has an issue, in the future, your pool is basically out of service.
As far as the returns, I’m no expert, but one in the spa and at least two in the pool seems reasonable. Do you know what kind of returns they will use, the oblong ones are more efficient than the round ones, from my understanding.2BD15A2E-968C-4615-A6B9-9699F7D78D60.jpeg

Get 2 skimmers. If you only have one, and it has an issue, in the future, your pool is basically out of service.
As far as the returns, I’m no expert, but one in the spa and at least two in the pool seems reasonable. Do you know what kind of returns they will use, the oblong ones are more efficient than the round ones, from my understanding.View attachment 348133
Talked to PB today as our rebar/steel team started this morning. The plumber will start next Tuesday/Wednesday. In reference to the returns, he said he finds oblong old school. He uses full size 1.5" return lines with waterway flush mount adjustable eyeball fittings, installed to push water towards skimmer. He added that my pool will have a dedicated deep heat return at deep end (6.5') for better mixing when the heater is on. Returns will be strategically placed at various heights throughout the pool to best circulate and keep warmth. The exact placements and number of returns to be finalized when the plumber, pool builder, and I are all present next week. Updates to continue. Comments always welcomed, Ellen

In reference to the 1 or 2 skimmers, he stated that I have a lap pool with an auto cover as well as have removed much debris from the area to keep it fairly easily to maintain debris. He knows we want top of the line and said he feels having a dedicated cleaner line with valve, 1 commercial grade skimmer with dedicated suction line, and one dedicated main drain to be home-run by itself back to equipment pad, not tied to skimmers, if line clogged, we’d still have circulation will serve us better.

An update on our progress: Steel Reinforcement complete. 6/30-7/2 for Plumbing/Gas Lines. First inspection on Tuesday 7/6/21.

More details solidified today:
  • 1 dedicated cleaner line with valve
  • 1 commercial grade skimmer with dedicated suction line,
  • 1 dedicated main drain which is home-run by itself back to the equipment pad, not tied to skimmer to assure circulation in the pool if skimmer clogged.
  • 3 full size 1.5" standard return lines with waterway flush mount adjustable eyeball fittings
  • 3 full size 2” deep heat returns spread out from spa to the deep end to best balance the temperature throughout pool (we old folks need warmth year round!!)
More pictures to come as we continue to progress. Feedback always welcomed, Ellen M

6.30 Plumbing:Gas Day.JPG

Last edited:
Forgot to add our spa jet layout update finalized today (6 VSP hydrotherapy jets and dedicated 2HP 8 spa jet booster pump with 3" suction= 14 total for layout)

JET placement best set up for solo person or two peopleMASTER seat Next seat faces deep end same benchSeat Facing houseSeat Facing neighbors -2nd important seatSeat Facing slope
Upper backX XXXX
Mid back X XX
Lower backX XXXX
Calf Jet X

Last edited:
Any updates on your build? Patiently waiting to see your pics of Stonescapes Micro Moraine.
Hi. Glad to update you. Re interior finish:
There has not been an opportunity to see a Micro Moraine. I spoke to one pool service guy who has seen the micro but in black and my PB said his finish guy has also only done the black. Finish guy has many projects to finish by 7/4/21. PB said he will then ask if he did any more micro and what colors. He hopes he will have installed more micros by then. If I do get any information and opportunity to see a pool, regardless of color, I will view it and post on the other thread. Please feel free to follow that post. We are at the last day of Plumbing today.

Last edited:
Wow thats a lot of jets. Should be awesome!

This is such a unique build, very excited to follow along. Congrats on your progress!
Thank you very much. Nice to have support and feedback through this process. The other diagram did not accurately display, so here it is again. We are wanting to create as much of hydrotherapy as possible since aging is not going to be so fun!

JET placementMASTER-1.........SEAT-2
Seats face deep end
Seat-3
Faces house
Seat 4-faces
Basketball
court
Seat-5 Faces slope
Upper backX X X X X
Mid back(no jets here)........X X X
Lower backX X X X X
Calf JetX

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueWave8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.