New build

Our plumbing was completed today, including the Badu Jet Stream 2 at the deep end. I was surprised to see the amount of vertical plumbing that will show inside the equipment fence area at the deep end. Inspection anticipated 7/6 and the shotcrete on 7/13/21.

Wishing everyone a safe and relaxing holiday weekend, Ellen M.

07.02 Plumbing spa view.JPG07.02 Plumbing zoom on deep end.JPG

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Any updates on your build? Patiently waiting to see your pics of Stonescapes Micro Moraine.
Hi. The PB mentioned today that he will now ask his installer if he has completed any pools with the micro finish as I am waiting to see any micro finishes. If I am lucky to see any micro finishes, I will be sure to upload a photo that day! Hope your project is moving smoothly.

On FB a company called Z &Z Pool Plaster out of Katy TX posted a picture and video of what they describe to be Kenai Gray. If you look at the picture from the application we believe that it may actually be Moraine because the application does not look gray at all.

In our seemingly never ending pool construction we have reserved Kenai Gray and will *hopefully* have it applied in the next week or two.

Thank you for keeping me in the loop. I agree it sure does not look like Kenai Gray which is supposed to be a dark grey. I am hoping the Moraine is the color of the spa. The pool looks much lighter then I would have expected. Still waiting on the PB who is waiting on installers to let us know. I swam in someone's pool the other day and took my Moraine samples and dropped them at various depths. Much lighter blue than I expected. However, I do not see much choice if I am going for dark blue and do not want mini or other pebble or jewels and the polished scape does not have dark blue. Please send pictures of your pool anytime!! Looking forward to seeing your project. Ellen M

Hi @Ellen M I have finally had some spare time to catch up on your wonderful build! Love what I see so far!

A couple of comments:
-over fill line-do you have one? It will be VERY important with your space. It is a pvc line from either the top of the waterline tile or in the skimmer towards the top. The line should go to daylight well away from the pool. With your pool being a lap pool I would push for the skimmer option as there will be less splash out with it in there.

-light by the equipment pad. You will thank me when you have to run out there on a dark, stormy night!

Kim:kim:

Hi @Ellen M I have finally had some spare time to catch up on your wonderful build! Love what I see so far!

A couple of comments:
-over fill line-do you have one? It will be VERY important with your space. It is a pvc line from either the top of the waterline tile or in the skimmer towards the top. The line should go to daylight well away from the pool. With your pool being a lap pool I would push for the skimmer option as there will be less splash out with it in there.

-light by the equipment pad. You will thank me when you have to run out there on a dark, stormy night!

Hi. Thanks for the input. I borrowed your suggestion of the light from one of your other posts and PB said he would gladly install. In reference to the over-fill line, he notes in the contract "Includes auto fill with overflow to be connected to yard drainage". I believe this is what you are referencing. I posted his detailed contract outline as my initial post so I always had it easily available while on this site.

PB comes Monday to paint out steps and benches and finalize the depths from grade to deep end so he is ready for the shotcrete crew Tuesday. I read on TFP to offer the crews treats. So far they all appreciated the sparkling ice cold water and nuts. For the shotcrete crew the PB brings them lunch and I should just watch and enjoy the show.

Thanks for taking the time to read my pool build thread. Hope you have a relaxing Sunday. I am finding that with working and building a pool, I have two time consuming jobs now!

Ellen M

You are all set then!

Sounds like you have a very hands on PB. That is so nice to see! Quite a few just show up to collect the checks.
Very hands on. Father in the business and the excavator said our PB was building pools at a young age and it was dinner conversations! He is in his own business and exclusively pools and nothing else to give 100% to high quality construction. The PB, my husband and I are all detail oriented professionals, keeping an eye out for any glitches. My husband brainstormed the final layout for the 14 jets as I want a hydrotherapy spa as much as possible. I focused on the returns to be sure that water circulates well and I am never cold. Thanks, Ellen M

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
7.13.21 Shotcrete day completed. Fantastic artists at work for 6 hours. The TFP suggestion to add a spigot at the equipment pad paid off and made watering the deep end easy. 🙏. Details on pool grading depth and benches are now edited on the initial post on page one. Thank you for all the support. Ellen M
tempImageboPPTK.pngtempImageynSGXB.pngtempImageQ1YMzN.pngtempImagePyouO2.png

Attachments

• tempImageQwVdmc.png
    tempImageQwVdmc.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • tempImagetfEd1P.png
    tempImagetfEd1P.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • tempImage6lTXZQ.png
    tempImage6lTXZQ.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • tempImageCcLLqe.png
    tempImageCcLLqe.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
SWEET!!! That looks great! G

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWEET!!! That looks great! G

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:

Bookmark these:
Trouble Free Pool

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Thank you. Our PB said buy the test kit you want and I will cover it. As far as we can tell we think this is the top of the line given our pool TF 100 test kit from TFP with smartstir, K1766 (salt test kit which adds more precision than salt strips provide), standard size & PH meter (total cost $162). He says our interior finish guy is certified by NPT and one of the best in the area. We are trying to find a pool in Stonescape Micro Pebble to visit. We want a medium dark blue hue as well as non smooth surface but not as rough as mini pebble. We believe this is going to pan out but COVID delays will tell. He said the average person building a pool does not go for the darker blues so we hope this works in our favor! He will also provide a weekly pool man and if we do not care for him after 30 days we have names of others highly recommended, so we hope this will help us take care of chemistry and keeping the pool shining. Thank you very much. Ellen M

Reactions: Ricodod and Haku84
Our PB said buy the test kit you want and I will cover it.
I will say it again......................you have a GREAT PB!
He will also provide a weekly pool man and if we do not care for him after 30 days we have names of others highly recommended, so we hope this will help us take care of chemistry and keeping the pool shining.
well about that...............please look at the bottom of the links I sent you. The bottom one is about how to PROPERLY start up a new plaster pool. A pool company will not be able to do the start up the proper way as they only come in about once a week. The pH alone needs to be adjusted almost daily. Once the plaster cures it will need a lot less daily care.

I will say it again......................you have a GREAT PB!

well about that...............please look at the bottom of the links I sent you. The bottom one is about how to PROPERLY start up a new plaster pool. A pool company will not be able to do the start up the proper way as they only come in about once a week. The pH alone needs to be adjusted almost daily. Once the plaster cures it will need a lot less daily care.
Spoke with PB Friday re start up process/details. He said the start up guy (or the PB) will be by 2-3x's the first week (or more if needed) to adjust the chemistry. Then they will slowly reduce frequency as it gets balanced. I emailed TFTkits for assistance. Dave Smith provided us with a 45 minute chemistry education 🙏 to allow us to check the chemistry daily. TF-PRO *Salt with speedster-for pools with SWG as well the Taylor K1766 salt test strips (which may not be needed but better to have if need) are on the way. Awaiting next inspection Monday. Thanks, Ellen M

That is a great test kit and will be needed.. great job :)
We definitely have been trying to stay highly educated consumers from the design stage to maintenance stage! It's an unpaid time consuming, albeit, side job! Swam in neighbors 84 degree pool today in my minor summer wet suit and still had a cool. I will be delighted when I can make the pool whatever degrees warmer my body needs to be a pleasant vs bone chill swim! Thanks for supporting us. Ellen M

Back fill completely today making our yard much less trecherous to continue to water the shotcrete 3x a day. PB said watering the shotcrete was a requirement for the first 5 days; yet, he agrees if we are willing to water everyday it is ideal. It's sort of fun, so why not!

Monday is the install of the Diana Royal Antique Finish Marble coping and the 6"x24" Vera Cruz watertile after that. Installer said it can take up to 2 weeks but should go faster.

Thanks for all your support. Ellen M

2021 07.23 Backfill complete1.jpg2021 07.23 Backfill complete2.jpg

SWEET!!! That looks great! Good job with the bonding with your new baby aka pool!

Plaster links:
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:

Bookmark these:
Trouble Free Pool

Hope everyone is doing well. The NPT Vera Cruz Cream 6"x23.5" water tile install is in the early stage. They say it will take up to 2 weeks for completion of the water tile and Diana Royal Antique Finish Marble coping (estimated 8.10.21). Upon opening the delivery packages we found many water tiles were broken by careless pallet placement as well as the order was short. More new boxes should arrive tomorrow. Next update when this section of the project is complete.

Watertile (NPT Vera Cruz cream) at entry steps.jpgWatertile (NPT Vera Cruz cream) cont'd.jpgWatertile (NPT Vera Cruz cream) continued 1.jpgWatertile (NPT Vera Cruz cream) installed mid lap lane.jpgDiana Royal Antique Finish Marble coping.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.