New Build DFW Texas

Hi all -- I'm a long-time lurker here and have gathered a ton of useful information in preparation for our build. We are set to start digging (hopefully) next week.

Just a little background: We had a pool built in our previous home about 17 years ago, and it did not go well. We did not do our due diligence when choosing a builder and that was basically the beginning of the end. We learned a lot about what we did and did not want, like, prefer, etc. We've since moved to 5 1/2 acres out in the country and finally got our "forever home" (custom new build) completed about a year and 1/2 ago. We have six children total (a couple who are married themselves), one teenager left at home, and two grandchildren with a third on the way. We do have family gatherings quite often and when we do it's a lot of people here.

We chose this particular builder because of great referrals by other customers. They don't do a lot of marketing/advertising and are a family-owned business. They also don't do any 3D images which is making it a little more difficult to "see" what this is all going to look like. So hoping for input/opinions/advice from all of the pros here! :) We are fairly simple people and want to keep a more rural and open feel to the property.

Decking: leaning towards washed/exposed aggregate -- hubby thinks its best but I feel like it might be rough on feet? Don't have exact measurements yet as we keep adding on but will be in excess of 1200 sq ft
Coping: mix of Oklahoma and Silver Mist flagstone
Plaster: Harbor Tropic Blue pebble
Waterline Tile: NPT Tile Verona Borba Turquoise

Pool Layout.JPG

Changed from original drawing to add on to the tanning ledge/baja shelf and add another light on the shallow end of the pool when they came out to paint the outline. Also, he suggested adding a "bench" in front of the tanning ledge to accommodate more people hanging out there (drawn on picture), but I haven't seen this done before so not sure how it will look and flow?

Pool Drawing Revised.jpg
Tile and Pebble.jpg

Welcome!

Looks like a nice design.

Not sure about the bench in front of the tanning ledge. We did a bench to the side.

I find we all just sit on the front edge of the tanning ledge, or lean up against it. Or we all migrate over to the bench.

Plaster 1.JPG

--Jeff

Reactions: LittleBitty
Welcome!

Looks like a nice design.

Not sure about the bench in front of the tanning ledge. We did a bench to the side.

I find we all just sit on the front edge of the tanning ledge, or lean up against it. Or we all migrate over to the bench.

View attachment 414028

--Jeff
Thank you -- now I'm wondering if we should change that? Supposed to dig this week but we have rain coming tonight and tomorrow so who knows!

Thank you -- now I'm wondering if we should change that? Supposed to dig this week but we have rain coming tonight and tomorrow so who knows!
I like the bench in front of the tanning ledge, it makes it easier to get in and out too. Also I think it would look really lovely to add a line of tile along the edge of the bench (and also make it easier for people to see when stepping in and out). Easy to add to the plan later if you decide you want it.

Your pool shape and features are very similar to mine. You might find my build thread useful (link is in my signature).

What brand of equipment does your builder use? You need specific models of all equipment, not generic words like "variable" and "salt".

I think the bench in front of the tanning ledge is a good idea or possibly just make the steps bigger but I'd probably lean more towards the bench on the tanning ledge that will be nice. It would also give you another way to get in and out.

I'd consider adding one more light in between the ledge and that bench too. We had a free-form pool previously with only two lights and because of the nature of the shape we ended up with some dark areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.