New Build - Dallas, TX

Dec 2, 2017
Dallas/TX
Hello All,
We are building our first pool and this is my first post to this forum. I have gained a lot of valuable insights from this forum. We are getting PebbleSheen on the inside.
Yesterday was supposed to be our plaster day, but after they started the compressor on the truck broke so they couldn't finish the job (Yeah, my luck!).
The builder says that now the unfinished plaster would need to cure for 5-7 days before they finish the plaster.
Does that sound accurate?
Would I have any future plaster related issues due to that?

Look forward to getting your insighPool.jpgts.

Well, I can't answer the question at hand but......wow! What a gorgeous coping and tile deck! Soooo very impressed with that! The pool and tile look good too, sans the pebbles.

Hopefully one of the folks who excell at Pebble plaster finishes will come along to answer your question.

Welcome to TFP :)

Maddie :flower:

Saw the Belgard comment.

(Can’t answer your plaster question...)
Sorry

But I will comment on the belgard.

We got them and made a huge deck!

Beware!!! The sand in between will come out and feel and look annoying all the time if it’s not done properly. My PB did not do it properly and I’m still stuck with a mess, even after 3 yrs.

I had another company come out and re-do the sand.

Just be aware.

21,000 gallons (pool and spa), IG, pebble tec, filter: cartridge, pentair clean&clear plus CCP520 (easy touch 2A), pentair Master Temp 400 heater, Pentair model 320 Rainbow auto chlorine inline (3in 89% Trichlor tabs), Dallas,TX, built in 2015.NEW POOL OWNER
New TF-100 test kit: 6/1/18- switching to LQ

Hello All,
We are building our first pool and this is my first post to this forum. I have gained a lot of valuable insights from this forum. We are getting PebbleSheen on the inside.
Yesterday was supposed to be our plaster day, but after they started the compressor on the truck broke so they couldn't finish the job (Yeah, my luck!).
The builder says that now the unfinished plaster would need to cure for 5-7 days before they finish the plaster.
Does that sound accurate?
Would I have any future plaster related issues due to that?

Look forward to getting your insighView attachment 80246ts.

I am calling in my go to guy for this one.....I know what my gut says but have nothing to base it on so.........calling in someone who should know. Hold on a bit until they get back with us.

They need to remove the plaster and start over. Their equipment failure should not result in you getting a less than ideal finish.

They will say it was just the first pass of material (which it was) but they need to make it right....its a small enough area anyway

They need to remove the plaster and start over. Their equipment failure should not result in you getting a less than ideal finish.

They will say it was just the first pass of material (which it was) but they need to make it right....its a small enough area anyway

This is my go to guy for this kind of things. He is a Master Pool builder that knows what is what. If he says it you can take it to the bank. They may (will??) give you some push back..........just stand tall and look them in the eyes while saying "Chip out please" as many times as you need to so they know you will not accept anything less.

(As always........THANKS B!!!!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Brian/Kimkats,
Can you please also let me know what potential issues it may cause? I asked the builder to chip it out and I’m getting pushback. Knowing some of the issues it may cause will help me pushing my case further.
Will greatly appreciate your prompt feedback.

I will pm Brian to make sure he sees this and can give his input.

My input..........there is no way the colors will match. This plaster that is sitting out in the sun with no water on it is curing and changing right before your eyes. THEN look at how uneven it is it........it is not even close to be "finished" so.....how does he think they will be able to do that without sanding it down? IF they sand it down then you are losing some of your brand new plaster before you even start. That is going to matter in the long run down the road long after the PB has left the area.

I am so sorry this has happened but it can be overcome with some work and effort on the PB's part. It will hit him in the wallet but that cannot be helped by you. This is YOUR pool and YOUR money spent so it needs to be taken care of so YOUR best interests are what matters.

The plaster in those areas is going to end up being less than half the thickness as the remainder of the pool which can lead to potential delamination, stress fractures, and hollow spots.

The greater concern is the potential for color variation due to mix water absorption rates and the varying speed of drying since the thickness is so different...

Maybe it will turn out fine - but maybe it won't. What's the plan if the latter is the case?

Remember..........look them in the eyes and smile while you say "Chip out please" over and over and over...........nothing else is acceptable. They are going to try the "Lets see how it goes"..........well you won't know how it goes until he is already down the road a ways with your money!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.