New Build - Central California

Ryan, just coming across your thread now. Love it so far. Do you have any design pics of the covered patio you are building? It's almost exactly the same size as ours (40x16). Your space planning also looks similar to ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpie - I have a 3D model of what we are doing. The covered patio will be tied dead into our house and we will be extending one of the rooflines of the house. It's a flat roof area. It'll terminate in a small building (storage and bath).

I'll grab a screen shot and post it shortly. The model doesn't have the building, it was from our first pass of the design ;)

Gumpiebk - here are a couple of the 3D model pics. Hopefully this is what you are looking for. We had full structural engineering done for the building.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 7.36.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 7.35.22 PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We ended up having to adjust the spacing of the posts due to the spans we need to carry and the height. I ended up with 15' spans and they will be carried by a 12x5 1/8 gluelam beam. We had to go with a 2' square 4'9" deep foundation pier with 4x4 1/4'" steel columns for the posts. I think if there is an earthquake, we will all evacuate to the covered patio :)

In the actual build, the end of the patio will terminate in a small building. It'll have a storage room on each side and a bathroom in the middle.

Hope thats helpful!

Looks great. Glad you are able to do it without an additional post/column. It opens it up so much. Will the building be where the grill is in the rendering?

The building will be just at the end of the overhang. The grill position won't change at all.

We where able to get by with just 2 posts on each side - and a post next to the house. I dug those footings out today - that wasn't very fun :) Once you get down to 4+ feet it's hard to dig like normal... Lot's of squats to get any leverage on that post hole digger!

We adjusted the area outside of the patio cover a bit - removed a "screen" and extended a bit of lawn. My initial post has the layout of it.

Gumpiebk - here are a couple of the 3D model pics. Hopefully this is what you are looking for. We had full structural engineering done for the building.

View attachment 59669
View attachment 59670

- - - Updated - - -

We ended up having to adjust the spacing of the posts due to the spans we need to carry and the height. I ended up with 15' spans and they will be carried by a 12x5 1/8 gluelam beam. We had to go with a 2' square 4'9" deep foundation pier with 4x4 1/4'" steel columns for the posts. I think if there is an earthquake, we will all evacuate to the covered patio :)

In the actual build, the end of the patio will terminate in a small building. It'll have a storage room on each side and a bathroom in the middle.

Hope thats helpful!

Wow, Ryan, that design looks amazing. Love the modern lines. I can't wait to see it completed. I'm just starting, and you've given me a lot of inspiration. I just wish I had the space that you have.

Spent some time watering the gunite and mortar today :). Tomorrow we'll get the basics setup for our posts, and hopefully do the exterior plumbing for the pool bath on Wednesday. I think my steel posts are going to become the hold up :(. Hopefully mid week they are ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, one of the things that we are eventually going to purchase is an above ground spa. Anyone have particular recommendations? We've historically been heavy spa users, 4-5+ times a week, all year long. We had a sundance spa, it was fine. I'd like to get a 6ish person spa. Just haven't been in the market for 10+ years :)

- - - Updated - - -

Why are they holding up the posts? We want them NOW! LOL

Kim:kim:

LOL ;) Yeah - I want them now as well! Silly steel fabrication process. Something about it being done right the first time and not being welded next to the existing structure for risk of fire. Seems slightly overblown to me... kidding :)

Sounds like my plumber for the underground work is going to be available next week, so hopefully that doesn't slow things down too much. It's a bit of a juggling act as we get the grading done, site work (columns, foundation footers etc..) and trenching for sewer runs with a few different contractors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ryan, We had a Coast Spa and it was awesome. We were planning on incorporating it into our build but we ran into some issues. The spa itself was great. Had it for over 8 years and only had to replace a pump seal and that was a few months ago.

Foundation forming and more footing digging today. Next major thing will be full grading and plumbing for the building. Hopefully late this week or early next for both.

8f4bd4f7ba8f266e8758f2331d8afff2.jpg
e395aeca2e9738693cf962e2942eae84.jpg
201a2f23ffc5972012dda88dee8c4222.jpg

And some seriously huge fasteners that need to get welded up!

395b87a85929e11b552e8c25efe41f94.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha! For a second I thought that was the framing for the pool! Jeesh. Then I realized it was for your structure. It's a real headache having multiple projects going on at the same time, that need to tie together. But now that we are done it was so worth the pain only once.

Ha! For a second I thought that was the framing for the pool! Jeesh. Then I realized it was for your structure. It's a real headache having multiple projects going on at the same time, that need to tie together. But now that we are done it was so worth the pain only once.

Seriously! It's all good though. Our pool guy was cool and dropped off a bobcat for my building guy to use yesterday. It's just the coordination of three peoples projects and schedules that is cumbersome. We are still moving super quickly!

I'm excited. Looking forward to getting it all done. And knowing where the lines are underground should something ever need to be fixed in the future. It's amazing the all kinds of crazy we are finding buried out there :)

Sounds like we have a plan for Concrete crew to come out Wednesday and do the decking. Did I mention yet that we aren't just doing the back yard?

We are actually doing all of our yards (three). They will finish the demo on the front and side yard, form up the ~6,000 sq/ft of concrete (including a driveway) and get pouring!

Hopefully it's done next week, maybe Friday or Saturday. Then plaster! Woot!

Now I just need to make sure all of the stuff that has to be in the ground before concrete gets done before Wednesday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.