New build Atlanta—huge issue—need suggestions

Oct 3, 2018
Atlanta/ga
Hi everyone;
We start digging tomorrow and this was just brought to my attention. Based on what I have read here, I required a salt water system even though my builder tried to get me to do the ozone/I’ve system.
As you can see on the pic, I have 4 bar stools sticking out horizontally from the wall—each stool is made of a steel bar with granite seats.
PB is now concerned about the potential issues the salt will have on the steel bars both immediately causing issues to the pebble tech and long term on the steel. Thus, wants me to get an ozone/UV pool. I understand her concerns.

Question—should I get the ozone/UV to avoid the salt issues or get the standard concrete bar stools that one would normally see at a resort?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A5433827-B751-4D21-A98C-3B1DE2983EA7.jpeg
    A5433827-B751-4D21-A98C-3B1DE2983EA7.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 222
Why not find out what kind of steel is being used? Cheap, high carbon steel will rust in any pool environment. 316/316L stainless will not. The builder needs to determine if the steel is compatible with saltwater pools. The manufacturer should be able to confirm the steel grade.

Guess what? Any chlorine pool is going to build up chloride content over time. Many pools that convert to salt water start out at nearly 1000ppm salt and SWGs only require 3200ppm on average ...about 1/10th the salinity of sea water. UV/Ozone is useless. Get an SWG with properly rated hardware and you’ll be fine.

News flash, you will have salt in your pool regardless of what you choose because all forms of chlorine add salt and muriatic acid adds salt.

Not uncommon for salt to reach 1000-2000ppm in a non-SWG pool.
SWG requires a level around 3200ppm
The ocean is 35,000ppm ... and just the proper metal survives just fine in it ;)

If you decide to forget the SWG (I would not want to), then also forget about the ozone/UV system which are not helpful in residential pools either. See that big orange ball in the sky, it gives you a lot of UV for free :)

You could consider an automatic liquid chlorine injection system if you are worried about the little extra salt but still wanted some automation of chemical addition.
Just remember that whatever you choose, you will still have to be testing and balancing your water.

316L or 904L grade stainless steel would be most applicable to a pool environment. They are, as you might imagine, the most expensive grades as well. They also require a skilled welder/fabricator to properly form them. I would suggest that you and your builder thoroughly investigate the supplier to ensure that they know what they are doing.

Howdy neighbor.... you will LOVE the convenience of a salt water chlorine generator.

Ozone? pfffffft! pretty small lamps in pool are sort of a joke. Only sanitizes the small bit of water going directly over the lamp and then that bit of water gets mixed in with a pool full of water already exposed to the elements. It does not provide residual protection to the mass of water in that pool. High profit for the pool builder, I imagine?

UV?? You're in Georgia! We get *plenty* of UV free of charge from the sun.

Otherwise, love the pool design! A little concerned that those floating granite seats are going to be head bangers for anyone swimming under the water and coming up on them??

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I love, love, love the design!!! I would love to see where this beauty if going!

Those seats...............that is going to have to be WAY strong to stand up to what people will be doing on them like jumping, standing, even sitting. How far in to the wall will the steel be? While they look oh so neat I would not do them :( Too many problems waiting to happen one of which Maddie mentioned-bonking heads on them.

Kim:kim:

Beautiful pool!
I like the design of the seats in one regard....a robot can easily clean under them. That said, I think in the long run they'll be more trouble than they're worth for the reasons stated already. It's not as if they serve a swim up bar or anything right there. If they are just for seating in the pool, I personally believe you'd be better served with a bench similar to what you did on the other side of the steps. I'd extend the middle step out in both directions to make it one continuous, flowing feature. It would look as nice, probably less expensive, no potential long term problems, and you dont lose 1 inch of swimmible area in the pool.

I think the seats are an awesome idea on paper. But I too think they are going to be an issue down the road for the reasons others have stated.

I get designers have all these awesome ideas that look great on paper but in the real world don’t always jive. My buddy says this to a lot of the designers he deals with daily who design steps and various pieces of furniture for him to build. “That’s a pretty picture you drew. Now let’s redraw what it will really look like.”

I would just do the typical stools we see on this sites builds. My builder did seats for a customer that are solid blocks of granite or a type of similar stone. They placed them with a crane they were so heavy and large. 9 years later I know they r still good and they look sweet when you view them through the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are the seats going to be removable? If so, then they can be replaced. Anyone that can afford that pool can afford to replace those seats in 10-15 years! I think you are fine. Just make sure to keep your pH above 7.0 and you won't have a problem (assuming the right steel). Love the pool design!

Reactions: Jnet
The primary function of the bar stools will be to watch TV—We are putting a sunbrite on the wall which is under the deck (deck isn’t shown on the pic)as my goal is to be able to sit in the pool and watch games. I believe I will just put in standard shotcrete stools and not seal with steel. I understand that cleaning around the stools will be a pain but that is the lesser of the evils.

Now the question is if I should cover them in Lightstreams tile or granite/stone—anyone have any experience in this?

Good call! If you put them on a raised platform that will help with the cleaning as the cleaner not be as able to get up by the posts and get tangled up with them.

Lightstreams are oh so pretty!!! BLING to the max!!! BUT they are also a pain to deal with. They have a HUGE lead time to get done and even then they are almost always late. Make sure to look at prep work to do before they are installed. It is VERY specific and some tilers don't have the knowledge or skill to install them correctly. I hope you do decide to use them or some BLING glass tile. I just wanted to give you a heads up so you can get started on ordering them and learning about installing them so you know what to ask of your PB.

Kim:kim:

Experienced Lightstreams first hand. Ordered 350 sqft of peacock and they forgot to make the tile. Fortunately I ordered so early it didn’t affect anything. They now know me very well so I don’t think they will forget again.
Thinking about making a different color on each bar stool.

Do you have the detailed quote/contract from the builder? l think it'd be a good idea to give the equipment and layout a looking over. I know pumps and returns and SWCG model numbers aren't as fun as bells and whistles but it would be hard to enjoy a pool that had constant problems due to poor design or an undersized filter. Take it from the man with one return and one skimmer 10 feet apart in a 30k+ pool.

Being that I am reading this, I feel compelled to offer my opinion about the seats. They are also a hazard in that someone swimming can get a pocket of their bathing suit caught on them and potentially be trapped. Just offering an observation.

Regardless, enjoy your new pool.

Being that I am reading this, I feel compelled to offer my opinion about the seats. They are also a hazard in that someone swimming can get a pocket of their bathing suit caught on them and potentially be trapped. Just offering an observation.

Regardless, enjoy your new pool.

Or worse it comes off and they aren't trapped. Ain't no one wants to see that!

• Wow
Where did you use the peacock tile? I would love to see it! I SO love that BLING tile!

What colors are you thinking of using for the stools?

Kim:kim: (they FORGOT to make it?? HOW do you forget to make something like that?? :roll:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.