New Build (Already in Progress) Mt. Airy, Maryland

6-8 cups instead of 10. Start with the 6 cups and wait for the water to circulate through the filter a few times. Check water clarity and if needed add 1-2 more cups.

Help! Thanks ctrav and RileyDog. I'm a little flustered at the moment! I did just do my first full set of tests! I didn't bother with CYA because I know that it is zero.

FC = 1
CC = 1? Is this bad?
CH = 200 Low?
PH = 7.2 -7.5 About to turn on the waterfall to bump that up a hair
TA = 130 I haven't looked this up on the chart yet.

So I do have a problem it seems and I HOPE I haven't broken something! Earlier today we went out to bfast and when I got back the pool was 'OFF' according to my screenlogic app. I turned it back on. I forgot to prime!!!! Ack!!! I turned it off again and then cleaned out the pump basket and then primed and turned back on. Now I have tiny bubbles coming from the returns.

What do I do? I tried 'burping' the filter. Did I not prime enough? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Let the pump run for a while and see if the bubbles work their way out after a while.

TA is the last thing we work on as it is a partner with pH.

I would not try to push your pH up as your new plaster will do that for you. Let it go up on it's own.

Have you added any chlorine? I forget how far into the new plaster card you are. How many days has it been? What does the card say as far as FC for where you are now?

Kim:kim:

Ok, thanks Kim. I assume the number of days starts from fill date, yes? If so we are on day 5. Wet Edge says:

Chlorine

Add only a residual amount of chlorine in your pool during start up– 1 chlorine tab

Altima and Quartz Finishes Day 1 – 7

I'm thinking that 1ppm sounds like 'residual' to me. But I'm going to add another puck to the skimmer as there are none in there now. Come Tuesday I will add CYA and bring FC up. Sound about right?

Thanks for your help, I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, haha!

If you add it to the skimmer make sure to keep the pump running as you do not want the dissolved tablet to just sit there building up with the pump off. It might be better to go get a floater for the tablet. It will also be nice to have when you need to raise your CYA and you want to use tablets. The tablets will also help keep your pH down some as well.

Yeah that does sound like "residual" to me as well.

Just think of the poor people who do not know about TFP or the start up card :( NOW that is seat of your pants without those!

Kim:kim:

Umm I wish I could be of more help. All I can say is that I’m pretty sure you haven’t broken anything! The things I’ve done... the mind boggles [emoji15] Can definitely identify with the flustered feeling. You can read and read on here but once you have to physically look after the pool it’s very overwhelming. I can tell you that in two months it won’t be anywhere near as all consuming as it is now. As Kim said, think of all those pools that don’t have the TFP community behind them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, HUGE blow-out on the phone with PB this morning. I'm beside myself. I've never talked to someone who lied and who was arrogant as this guy is.

I hadn't mentioned it, but our light is still not installed. Now he tells me they can't pull the light (first I'm hearing about this is today) and that they may have to dig out the conduit. What?????!!!! That means pulling up pavers and my jump rock? Oh can this get any worse?

I told him I wasn't going to pay him until it was all done. He threatened me with legal action. We went round and round. I demanded that everything get done. He promised absolutely nothing. Tried to tell me he was building/managing 14 other builds. I screamed at him that I didn't care, I just want MY build done. I got lots of BS, excuses and more BS. I wish I could take legal action against him.

So sorry to hear you have to go thru this. Seems an awful lot of folks have issues on different levels. Hang in there!

I don't understand the "they can't pull the light" thing. My lights were hanging out until the plaster was installed. There was so much slack that they were on the bottom of the pool, including the deep end.

Are you saying the lights are not installed at all? Even still, I find it hard to believe that they cannot pull the power through the existing conduit because they use conduit that is designed for this with sweep elbows. For example, I had two more light switches installed where the convenience outlet is after everything was done and they were easily able to run the wires through the existing conduit. Did they forget to run conduit to the lights?

How are the wells for the lights even sealed? They should leak water unless they are sealed where the conduit sticks into them.

I would absolutely not pay another dime until they finished everything.

oh trying, trying, trying! I sent him a punch list of items today. I don't even want to talk to him in person anymore.

As for the light, I'm so confused. When the electrician came, they DID pull wires through the conduit but it was VERY difficult. And I told him that I knew exactly why. I have a pic somewhere that I can post. Basically the conduit was angled steeply (so too close to the bond beam) instead of flattened out back beyond the beam. So there is a sharp angle upwards that put a 'kink' in the conduit. So the electricians were able to pull cable through because it is laying all over my decking. So do they now need to pull it back to the pad? The light thingy (very technical term) at the pad is capped as if everything is already connected but maybe if I were to unscrew it I'd find it isn't. Anyway, they were able to pull it one way, not sure why it can't be pulled back except that from the pad there isn't much leverage on the spot where the kink is.

That is probably a horrible explanation, I'll have to dig up a pic from my camera and post it.

More on the drama of the phone convo:

I wasn't notified of a solid plaster date until the Friday before (plaster on monday 7/31). And even I wasn't sure it happen because of weather. Also, PB NEVER told me when it should be filled. Same day? Acid wash, so the next day? Also, in a phone call to one of the owners on 7/2 about the water he said "don't worry, we'll take care of all of that" and in a text to the other owner, "I'll take care of the water". So I never ordered it. He acted dumb on plaster day (see earlier post). Anyway fast forward to this week when he forwards me an invoice from the water trucking company. His name and company on the invoice, not mine. Today on the phone he says he needs me to pay it. I say he should pay it for all the **** that I've been through. He acted like he didn't know what I was talking about.

But I interpreted their "we'll take care of it" as in they will PAY for it. If you are eating out with someone and they take the check and say "I'll take care of this" I'm pretty sure it means they are going to pay for the meal, not calculate your portion and hand you the check!

And remember the bball hoop that he tried to pass off on me? He told me that is the hoop they always install and that he had ordered it a few weeks ago. I called him out on that lie and told him that I had the packing slip showing it was a year old. He said I was demanding a certain hoop based on a cartoon picture of one (he was referring to the rendering). The sales guy actually went to the SR Smith website and showed it me. So many lies!

Then I brought up the fact that it should have been done before there was water in the pool. His immediate response was, I wanted to get you swimming as soon as possible! Hey I did you a favor! Then later in the conversation he said that this is how they always install them (meaning after the decking and water are in the pool). Just so many lies to keep track of that he can't even do it.

As I look back thru your pics I see one opening for a light but never saw the actual light? Then I see water in the pool?? So did the ever actually put in a light??? How did they cover the opening before adding water????

Does he want to dig up pavers to install light? Do you have the agreed upon bid list showing all items, equipment and upgrades? Im not understanding...

Apparently the light goes into a wet niche. So apparently it didn't have to be installed first.

He wants to dig up the pavers to get the kink out of the conduit so the cables that are now attached to the light (sitting on my decking) can be (easily) pulled back to the pad. At least that's my understanding. I'm also confused.

Of course they never really communicate to you what needs to happen and how it happens.

As long as you have the money, you have the leverage. Tell him to get bent until he performs. I made the mistake of paying before I was totally satisfied. HUGE mistake.

I have quite the story to tell, but I cannot yet. The day will come though.

”I’ve built X number of pools and you are the only one to have a problem”. Yeah, I heard that one too. It was BS then, it’s BS now, and it will be BS the next time he uses it.

Learn something new every day...wet niche...

Besides the light what needs to be done? as for the light this is going to be an expense out of his pocket thus the pushback. As you stated they pulled the wires one way they should be able to pull them back the other way.

Yeah, his pocket but my poor decking. And when I got upset about it he told me it 'no big deal'. I think therein lies the problem. He completely missed the point that it IS a big deal to the homeowner. To know that something has to be torn up and may or may not look or function the same after is worrisome.

He still needs to:

-Remove Port-o-john from my property (as soon as I brought this up, he jumped into action and said he called them. But why wait for me to say something?)
-Fix leak from filter return pipe where it joins the SWG
-Remove plaster slurry pit (aka the cesspool) from my yard
-Deliver my robot
-Deliver and install my basketball hoop (this thing cost almost a grand so it isn't a little thing to me)
-There is about 4-5 inches of 'play' in the post that is holding my pentair control panel. I think that should be fixed and made sturdy.
-Install light
-Fix a gap between my skimmer and coping. It needs caulk and polymeric sand to fill it.
-Deliver and install handrail

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.