New Build (Already in Progress) Mt. Airy, Maryland

So it is possible that nobody is following this thread anymore but if anyone is out there, please help me if you can! I opened our pool the weekend before last...surprisingly it went OKay! I was a little nervous and so I think it took me longer than it should have, but I got everything running. Discalaimer: My pool needs salt. I put in one bag and then tested with my new test strips; I'm a bunch of bags low. I had forgotten about the 1/3 drain the PB did in order to finally fix my light last October.

Anyway, when I got my equipment restarted I had a system alert from screenlogic that said 'Chlorinator: Cold Water Cutoff'. When I first got this message after I opened, I looked it up and found that that will happen when the water is below 60 degrees. The water was around 58 degrees so I wasn't really worried. Now here we are ten days later and screenlogic is telling me that my water is 70 degrees but I still have the same message about the chlorinator.

I have no idea why this is nor how to fix it. Should I just try resetting everything? I know it needs more salt, but I'd think I would get a different message than what I'm getting. If I have to reset/turn off the SWG can someone advise how I do that? Thank you if you can help!!!

The Jandy TruClear also says "low temperature cutoff" or something like that when it is either cold or low on salt. You need a better test kit for the salt. My guess is your salt is low. Guess strips are not a good way to test salt. Feel free to stop by I'll let you borrow my K-1766 to test with. Or bring a water sample down and we'll test it here.

Reactions: kimkats
Ia the water temp 70 in the screenlogic or with a pool thermometer? I'm mid 60s here in NJ I'd ne surprised if your water was really 70. I dont know pentair well but it may be a general warning and you are just low on salt. Add the salt you need and see what happens, you need it anyway

Ia the water temp 70 in the screenlogic or with a pool thermometer? I'm mid 60s here in NJ I'd ne surprised if your water was really 70. I dont know pentair well but it may be a general warning and you are just low on salt. Add the salt you need and see what happens, you need it anyway
I’m just up the road. Her water temp is accurate.

The Jandy TruClear also says "low temperature cutoff" or something like that when it is either cold or low on salt. You need a better test kit for the salt. My guess is your salt is low. Guess strips are not a good way to test salt. Feel free to stop by I'll let you borrow my K-1766 to test with. Or bring a water sample down and we'll test it here.
Thanks a lot Poolgate...I have to take my son to the orthodontist today and I plan on buying salt on my way home. Getting it in the pool will depend on the weather after work the rest of the week. But I'll take a sample before I add any so I can bring it to your house.

I didn't realize there was a non-strip way to test for salt, so thanks again. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Reactions: PoolGate
Thanks for the replies...I'll update this when I get enough salt in the pool. BTW, new message in addition to the one in my earlier post. Now it ALSO says 'Chlorinator: Communication Lost'. I hope that just means that it shut off due to low salt. I'm googling as well to see what I can find out.

So I got salt in the pool...probably way too much. Anyway, now all the lights on the intellichlor look normal but EasyTouch still says zero salt. I called Pentair this morning. The guy on the phone said that I have a bad flow switch. In my googling of this problem the issue with the flow switch was ALL OVER THE PLACE. This is disconcerting because the SWG was only in use for maybe 3 months!!

Pentair said they will put in a warranty call for it...all he needed was the serial number from my IC60, which, he informed me is on the bottom of the unit. How convenient. So I went out in the rain this morning and was finally able to get a clear pic of the SN. I entered it online with Pentair and I'm supposed to get a confirmation email and a call from the warranty company in my area within 72 hours. I'm sure it won't be until next week.

While I'm glad that it is under warranty and that they are going to fix it, I'm definitely worried about the long term outlook for this product. Not to mention all the hassle! I just wanted a trouble free summer but I'm beginning to feel pretty stressed.

And to add insult to injury, when I was brushing on Wednesday I noticed that one of my tiles is cracked. And not like winter freeze/thaw type of crack. More like something hit it and put a gash in it. I think it may have happened during the cover install which I was not there for. It is directly under the waterfall. They use a cable to go from one side of the waterfall to the other and there is this huge chunk of metal that has 2 screws in each end. That was a terrible description but I don't have any idea what the part may be called. I 'suspect' that maybe they tried to 'throw' the cable and aforementioned metal hunk from one side of the waterfall to the guy on the other side so he could connect it to the pin in the decking. This crack/gouge looks like that thing may have hit the tile in the process. Of course I cannot prove any of this. Not sure if calling the closing company will do any good or not. So disappointing.

This was a huge problem last year with myself and a bunch of others. Jim feels it’s a software issue. They sent me a new flow switch. No go. Still zero. I made them send me a new unit. I’m good now but again who knows this year.

I don’t think they know what the real reason is. My unit was also new.

Good news is that if it says zero it’s still producing chlorine if your lights are all good. The zero reading doesn’t matter for user of the unit.

This was a huge problem last year with myself and a bunch of others. Jim feels it’s a software issue. They sent me a new flow switch. No go. Still zero. I made them send me a new unit. I’m good now but again who knows this year.

I don’t think they know what the real reason is. My unit was also new.

Good news is that if it says zero it’s still producing chlorine if your lights are all good. The zero reading doesn’t matter for user of the unit.

Oh my, Sorry you had all that trouble. What you are saying seems to be inline with all the internet chatter about this unit. But I'm VERY glad to hear that it is actually producing chlorine because that was stressing me out...that I'd have to manually chlorinate until all this was sorted. A little bit of relief!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.