Aug 15, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
I decided to replace my trusty Hayward 1hp single speed pump, still working fine after 10 years but just using up so much electricity!
So I ordered the B+D VS pump on Amazon and installed it last Saturday.
This evening I go into the pool shed and I'm hearing this unusual ticking/clicking sound coming from the pump.
I thought perhaps something is stuck in the fan (although is inside a closed shed) so I removed the fan shroud and inside I see a spattering of grease all around and turning the fan with a finger, I can hear that tick-tick at each revolution, in the same place.
Defective motor seal? I'm thinking I need to send it back to Amazon ASAP and ask for a replacement (or a refund?)
It's only been 3 days...
I'd have to replace a few fittings to reinstall my old pump if needed.

Advice?

If an exchange or return is available, I would go for it.

You might post a video for more input.

Can you get this pump in Canada. Looks like they do offer international shipping. The pump below is a bigger brother to the B&D 2 hp. B&D also offer the same pump in the 3 hp version. The Calimar is much cheaper...

It's available in Canada but at twice the price! so I purchased it on amazon.com and had it shipped to a freight forwarder just south of the border and brought it across myself. Shipping it back will require me to take the same route.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's so new and at that rate, it's probably going to stop working in a few days. Perhaps I need to actively get ready to reinstall the old pump at a moment's notice.
I got a few videos...
The files are quite big so please access them from these links:
File 1
File 2

Edit: I thought you meant the pump I currently have... I see you meant the Calimar... I'll look into it for sure.

Last edited:
If shipping it back is going cost a significant amount, you might try hanging on to the pump until the latter part of the warranty period.

The files are quite big so please access them from these links:
File 1
File 2
Most people, including me, are not going to download files to view. It's best if you can figure out how to record a video on YouTube and post it here.

Sorry, I understand :)
I don't have a youtube account but let's try this: (you can view them without downloading)
Link 1
Link 2

The pump has a 5 year warranty so that could take a long time ;)
BTW, no ticking this morning after resting all night but I suspect it will be ticking tonight.
I've already reached out to the B+D support email so let's see what they say. I still have 3 weeks to return it to Amazon to get a full refund (and I suspect/hope also free shipping??)

Last edited:
Wow, that CaliMar pump is really appealing! I could also probably go with the 1.5hp pump for 100$ less (as my single speed is 1hp).
Only 1 year warranty but still. Looks like the exact same motor type and control as the B+D
Worst part: this pump appears it could have been a drop in replacement for my old one (same piping) but I already replaced alot of adapters and fittings to install the new one... :(

I've already reached out to the B+D support email so let's see what they say. I still have 3 weeks to return it to Amazon to get a full refund (and I suspect/hope also free shipping??)
I think this is your best bet for now.
Sorry, I understand :)
I don't have a youtube account but let's try this: (you can view them without downloading)
Link 1
Link 2
Maybe @JamesW or @1poolman1 have input on the sound.

Here's a wiki page on the family of pumps:

Reactions: dborn
How did poolpartstogo resolve the issue? I have identical problem...
They sent me a replacement VFD/Drive but it didn't solve it. This is where we are now. I want to have the whole pump replaced, otherwise I may send it back and ask for a reimbursement.

Edit: Cody from PoolPartsToGo is friendly and super responsive. I'm returning the pump to Amazon since I am still in my return for refund window. I just don't trust the quality of the pump anymore. On top of the ticking noise, I also had a pump priming issue. I reinstalled my old pump and it's perfectly fine so it wasn't the plumbing. Like the saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. When my old pump dies, I'll see what I do then. For one, buying it in the US and bringing it across the border to save a few bucks is NOT worth it. Next time, I'll buy local.
For now I'll just shorten my timer to run my 1 speed pump for less hours, I'll save some electricity that way.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.