New AZ Pool / Spa Build

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
We're in the process of bidding out a backyard in the Phoenix metro. I've been a pool owner using TFP since 2006 up north, but our pools up here are built different than down south. We are building both a pool and spa. Spa will spillover into the pool, and they will share equipment. Pool / Spa are about 24K gallons.

HEAT:
I've had multiple builders give me differing opinions on heating. We primarily use the AZ residence in the winter as a winter home, so we need a heater. I've heard heating pools down south in the winter can be $1k / month using gas without a solar cover. This seems crazy considering our pool up north in ND is 88 degrees and our gas bill is about $50-$90/month, but we have an autocover and that makes it far more efficient. Some builders are saying NG, some are saying NG is too expensive to heat / maintain a pool, and with the spa requiring higher heat we'd need a NG heater for the SPA and a heat pump for maintaining the pool without spending a monthly fortune on keeping it warm.
I see 3 options here, and I'm wondering which is the best:
  1. Single 400K BTU NG heater
  2. Single 400K BTU NG heater AND a separate Heat Pump
  3. Pentair UltraTemp ETi Hybrid Heater / Heatpump
Anyone have feedback on the options, and / or experience with the #3 hybrid option?

CLEANING:
We're considering a paramount in-floor cleaning system. We need something that will keep the pool clean while we are not there, and when we are there, we don't want to spend our first days cleaning out the pool. This looks to be about a $8k - $10k option.

PUMPS:
I'm a believer in variable speed pumps (IntelliFlo) - they pay for themselves, and it's always easier to do this during the initial build. It seems all of the builders price out WhisperFlo single-speed units and use timers. Current proposal has 4 pumps, non of which are variable speed:
  • 3 HP WhisperFlo pool recirculation pump
  • 2 HP WhisperFlo booster pump for spa jets
  • 2 HP Silencer blower pump
  • 2 HP WhisperFlo pump for Paramount in-floor cleaning
Which of these should be variable speed?

Here's one of the potential designs:
1601395065668.png

Any other feedback?

I really like that design! Very interesting! Will be watching this as you progress.

I have an A&A in floor system and I enjoy it. The in floor systems are not all that popular around here, and I understand from an efficiency aspect, but from the hands off aspect, I have really enjoyed mine. I'm only into the end of the first year having it, so I may change my mind over time, but so far, I am very glad I installed it. Keeps the pool 98% clean without me having to do anything.

--Jeff

Just curious which option(s) you chose. I'm in the Phoenix area and looking at heating options. We have the Paramount in-floor cleaning system and really like it. Every once in a while, it decides to be temperamental (it's old and needs some minor repair) but saves a ton of hassle for us and the pool always looks nice.

Just curious which option(s) you chose. I'm in the Phoenix area and looking at heating options. We have the Paramount in-floor cleaning system and really like it. Every once in a while, it decides to be temperamental (it's old and needs some minor repair) but saves a ton of hassle for us and the pool always looks nice.
We're still in process with building - we have plumbing / electrical / steel done, and are waiting on the gunite. We ended up going with Option #2 (heater and heat pump). The hybrid unit is 50% power on gas and 50% power on heat pump, so if it's a cold evening and you want to jump in the hot tub, you're only looking at about 100K BTU heating capacity. You only get full power when both modes are on (and the ambient air temp is sufficient for heat pump to heat effectively).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.