New AZ pool owner

jbbhomebox

Oct 7, 2021
Surprise, Arizona
Hello all. Excited there is a resource like this. New pool owner in Surprise AZ (a Phoenix burb). 14,400 gal, chlorine, Hayward canister. Pool gets lots of use, at least in its first 2 weeks. I have considered a service but am driven to learn this and manage this pool myself. Working from home I have the time to do so, but worried I will screw it up. Looking forward to the resource here to help me through it.
Thanks,
Bill

Welcome to TFP!

I think you will find us a little different from most "pool people".

To control your pool you need to know what is going on. Many folks have a Saturday morning ritual, dip a bottle of water out of the pool and take it to the pool store (they give you the bottle for free). They test it and sell you what they say you need to "fix" what ails your pool. But, you will find not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? You need your own accurate test kit! Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™. The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

While entirely optional, I also have the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer and Sample Sizer Measuring Tool. They speed testing and accuracy.

Please don't go to a pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ and the K-2006 have this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

So again, welcome to TFP!!