New Aqualink RS and ePump not working together

drusus

Nov 17, 2023
Wichita Falls, TX
I just had a new pool built, however the pool builder only does the pool/plumbing. I had to find my own electrician which I did, but he was several weeks out. That's when I decided that I could do it myself. I'm handy and have done electrical work before. Everything works great trough the aqualink RS except the Jandy ePump. I can hear the relay switch the pump on, but there doesn't seem to be any communication from the RS485 to tell it to turn on and the speed. I've read through some post on this forum and did the troubleshooting where you jumper the RS485 connector(1-3 and 2-4). The pump now comes on when I tell it to in the aqualink app. At this point I thought it must be the wire (22/4) that I bought at a big box hardware store. I swapped out the wire with no luck! I moved the RS485 connector from one location to another on the aqualink. No luck! Everything else works perfectly through the aqualink app. I've read the manuals again thinking that there must be a dip switch that I missed, but everything I read says you just plug it into the RS485 and it works. This newer model (VSSHP220DV2A) only has dip switches 3 and 4. It does NOT have dip switches 1 and 2. At this point I just don't know what to do! I would think moving the pump slider to "on" would turn the pump on. Is there some setup that I need to do in the app? Is there a dip switch I need to flip? All the troubleshooting I've done says one or the other has to be bad, but they both work just fine on their own. They just don't want to work together!

The pump now comes on when I tell it to in the aqualink app.

It sounds like you have the ePump powered from the LOAD side of the filter pump relay.

VS pumps need to have constant power. The power should be connected to the LINE side of the filter pump relay and then it will be controlled by the RS-485 connection.

I did go through the VSP setup and that didn't change a thing. After reading a few other post I did switch the way the pump is wired. I put it on the line side so it has constant power now. None of these things have made any difference. I know the aqualink detects it because it shows up in the VSP setup like the image above. Unfortunately Jandy tech support won't help because I'm not a pool tech.

Can you post a pic of the pump panel where you are connecting both power and the rs485 connection? Also show the Aqualink end? For "Application" have you tried "Aux Pump"?

1701787168324.png

If you show us exactly what you did, rather then telling us, with both the hardware and software we may be able to point out what is wrong.

Here are some photos of the wiring and rs485. I also tried changing the pump setup to aux pump as suggested and that didn’t work either.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.png
    IMG_3684.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3683.png
    IMG_3683.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3677.png
    IMG_3677.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 7
Adding photos again as some didn’t come through.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.png
    IMG_3684.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3683.png
    IMG_3683.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3677.png
    IMG_3677.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3676.jpeg
    IMG_3676.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3674.jpeg
    IMG_3674.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 12
Show us your VSP Speed Setup and Schedule pages.

I finally figured it out. Posting so hopefully it helps someone else out. In the app (not web app) go to system setup. Then go to VS pump setup. The new VS pumps you have to go to pump 5 and set it up. The new jundy pumps don’t have the dip switches and are assigned via serial. The new pumps can’t be setup via the web interface and must be setup via the app starting with pump 5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally figured it out. Posting so hopefully it helps someone else out. In the app (not web app) go to system setup. Then go to VS pump setup. The new VS pumps you have to go to pump 5 and set it up. The new jundy pumps don’t have the dip switches and are assigned via serial. The new pumps can’t be setup via the web interface and must be setup via the app starting with pump 5.
hi - Im having the exact same problem you had. But my iAqualink app doesn't have a "system setup".....the web app has a "system setup" but not the app on my iphone. How did you access "system setup" in the non web based iphone app? Thanks much

Last edited: