New (and first ever) Pool! Dallas, TX

Do you feel comfortable playing with the valves? I would take a pic of how they are now before you do anything just in case.

If you do feel comfortable with moving them do it a smidgen at a time. See what it does to each area. Try it this way and that way. Make notes so you know what you did and what happened when you did it.

Kim:kim:

Do you feel comfortable playing with the valves? I would take a pic of how they are now before you do anything just in case.

If you do feel comfortable with moving them do it a smidgen at a time. See what it does to each area. Try it this way and that way. Make notes so you know what you did and what happened when you did it.

Ok that’s a good idea. I wasn’t sure if I’d break anything by moving the valves but I’m sure one of them will do it...

We got sprinklers this week and sod yesterday. Finally done (pretty much)!!! Salt startup is in a few weeks but for now the pool builder is still maintaining with chlorine. We have a couple small leaks on the equipment fittings so they are taking care of that soon. We are loving the look of things so far and the new zoysia. Now I can finally do gardens woohoo! Thanks again to everyone for their help through this crazy process!

Attachments

• DFC956C0-0017-4C6B-98FF-FB7942CEF12B.jpeg
    DFC956C0-0017-4C6B-98FF-FB7942CEF12B.jpeg
    627.2 KB · Views: 72
SWEET! That looks wonderful.................that is until I think about trying to mow it without getting any clippings in the water LOL

When you want to add salt get everyone in the pool. We call it "diamond day" it is so pretty to watch the diamonds float through the water! The people can also help mix it in good!

SWEET! That looks wonderful.................that is until I think about trying to mow it without getting any clippings in the water LOL

When you want to add salt get everyone in the pool. We call it "diamond day" it is so pretty to watch the diamonds float through the water! The people can also help mix it in good!

Wow that’s awesome! Didn’t know we were allowed to haha ?

Ok - slight dilemma here. Our PB poured salt in the pool on Wednesday and we are now done with their company maintaining/doing anything further as per the contract. Unfortunately the pool looked slightly cloudy when we woke up this morning. It rained about 1.5 inches last night. We are going on vacation soon for a week and don’t know what to do before we leave. Should we just pour some of the granular shock in? That’s what they were using before the salt. I want to start learning how to check all the levels and maintain it however often I need to, but I’m kind of not trying to spend too much time on it if possible since we are leaving in a couple days. Any ideas on a potential quick fix that will last until we get back??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the cloudiness you are seeing are the early stages of algae, there is no real quick fix. The fix is a SLAM Process, but only IF the pool has been filled for at least 30 days. In any case, you should post a full set of results for us to review. Use regular bleach to increase the FC right away if it's low. Your test results will help guide us.

Ok! I’ll try to figure out the test kit tomorrow and post results. The pool was filled April 28. They used chlorine tabs the first three weeks and after 30 days added the salt.

Reactions: Awp14

I used the test kit as directed. Pentair rainbow model 78. I did the chlorine test and pH (see first picture) and then the third test for if the pH is above 7.8. I added four drops and probably went too far since it’s light orange (see second picture).

I am happy to do any other tests that are recommended! It looks like the pH is totally off and that test seemed easy so I doubt I messed it up, but I can try it again!

Also attaching a picture of our Pentair screen logic app. Not really sure what this is as they did not explain it well at pool school but just in case it helps to see.

Edit: I was wondering do you think they didn’t add enough salt last week?

Attachments

• 25005070-972F-4770-A84E-DC7281D2D9FA.jpeg
    25005070-972F-4770-A84E-DC7281D2D9FA.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Ok so from researching the forum and revisiting the printouts it seems we need to add bleach to raise chlorine and muriatic acid to lower the pH. I’m not sure I understand how much. Or if we should do one tonight one tomorrow.

POOL MATH to the rescue!!!! Here is link: PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool

I love me some Pool Math!!

pH=muriatic acid-Your pH might be higher than you think so look at it as a "battle". In Pool Math put in 8.0 as your now and 7.5 as your target. Turn the pump on high, wear safety glasses, pour the m.a. in slowly in front of a return. Let the pump run for about 15 mins or so. Retest the pH and see what is says. IF it is not in the 7s do the above again. Keep doing it until you see it in the 7s.

Muriatic acid and chlorine do NOT play well together. You should wait 15 min between adding each one. Again making sure the pump is on. If you can also brush to really help mix it up good.

Does this help?

Ok so from researching the forum and revisiting the printouts it seems we need to add bleach to raise chlorine and muriatic acid to lower the pH. I’m not sure I understand how much. Or if we should do one tonight one tomorrow.

Yes, bleach and muriatic acid. You can use the pool math app to calculate how much you need of each:PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool

Make sure the pump and filter are running any time you add chemicals and for at least 30 min after additions to make sure things get mixed in well. Wait 15-30 min between adding muriatic acid and anything else, particularly chlorine.

I'd personally try to get the pH in range first (7.5-7.7), and then focus on the chlorine. Since you think you may have algae, and you're at basically zero chlorine now, I'd shoot for FC of 3.0 at a bare minimum.

Yes, bleach and muriatic acid. You can use the pool math app to calculate how much you need of each:PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool

Make sure the pump and filter are running any time you add chemicals and for at least 30 min after additions to make sure things get mixed in well. Wait 15-30 min between adding muriatic acid and anything else, particularly chlorine.

I'd personally try to get the pH in range first (7.5-7.7), and then focus on the chlorine. Since you think you may have algae, and you're at basically zero chlorine now, I'd shoot for FC of 3.0 at a bare minimum.

is FC what I’m testing for? The test I have says residual chlorine.

Also, thank you!!!

POOL MATH to the rescue!!!! Here is link: PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool

I love me some Pool Math!!

pH=muriatic acid-Your pH might be higher than you think so look at it as a "battle". In Pool Math put in 8.0 as your now and 7.5 as your target. Turn the pump on high, wear safety glasses, pour the m.a. in slowly in front of a return. Let the pump run for about 15 mins or so. Retest the pH and see what is says. IF it is not in the 7s do the above again. Keep doing it until you see it in the 7s.

Muriatic acid and chlorine do NOT play well together. You should wait 15 min between adding each one. Again making sure the pump is on. If you can also brush to really help mix it up good.

Does this help?

Yes this is super helpful!! I will start on the math and get to the store now. It seems lowes will have everything we need.

Thank you!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.