New (and first ever) Pool! Dallas, TX

Awap14

Nov 27, 2018
Dallas, TX
Got home today to a pond. We had a bad storm Sunday which shut off the power and blew tons of stuff into the pool. It’s been off since then and is supposed to come back tomorrow - we will see.

We skimmed it and brushed it (I included sad looking before and after pics) and noticed the vacuum foam piece is broken off. Seems like that would be easy enough to fix.

Is there anything we should do before the power comes on? Or shall we just wait and then run the filter and start testing the water and adding bleach and muriatic acid.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
You can add some chlorine in the water and brush it in. You can do it while inside the pool to make it easier. OR you could use a boat paddle or thick straw broom to help you make a current as you walk quickly around the pool.

If you have a generator you could drop a small sub pump in to move the water as well.

We will get your pool all fixed up fast!

Kim:kim:

Awap14

Nov 27, 2018
Dallas, TX
Thank you so much!!

You can add some chlorine in the water and brush it in. You can do it while inside the pool to make it easier. OR you could use a boat paddle or thick straw broom to help you make a current as you walk quickly around the pool.

If you have a generator you could drop a small sub pump in to move the water as well.

We will get your pool all fixed up fast!

We got power back! We emptied the vacuum and are running that and the pump. We added what we had in bleach which was two containers. Going to get more this afternoon at lunch. There are some stains lefts behind bright green and some brown - can those be fixed?

Edit: pool already looking much better at lunch. Still have those water skimming bugs. I hope those go away soon!

Last edited:

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
The staining will go away over time. The more you keep your FC up to just under SLAM level for your CYA the faster the stains will go away. Don't forget to brush the pool as well.

What kind of filter do you have? Sand, cartridge, DE? Can you please add it to your signature?

Reactions: Awap14

Awap14

Nov 27, 2018
Dallas, TX
The staining will go away over time. The more you keep your FC up to just under SLAM level for your CYA the faster the stains will go away. Don't forget to brush the pool as well.

What kind of filter do you have? Sand, cartridge, DE? Can you please add it to your signature?

Yes ma’am - sorry about that! It’s a cartridge filter I believe. I will add it to my signature.

Ok cool. I think we will need to get that other test kit you mentioned when our first one runs out of chemicals.

Pool is looking much clearer and we are working on the pH and then will get back to the chlorine levels again.

Thanks again, as always!!!

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
That is a good filter that should serve you well. Make sure to keep cleaning it as soon as the pressure goes up 25% over your clean filter.

When it is time for you to buy a new test kit you can always look in my siggy as I have a link to where to buy it as I really think it is the best bang for the buck out there.

Awap14

Nov 27, 2018
Dallas, TX
So now that our pool is back to normal pH and chlorine levels and looking lovely again..

Do I have to keep adding chlorine and acid weekly to maintain those levels? I thought the purpose of the salt system was that it would turn salt into chlorine and keep things maintained. Perhaps I need more salt? I was just surprised it turned cloudy so soon after salt startup. Not surprised the storm and power outage messed things up but just on a normal day to day, shouldn't there be enough salt so that I don't have to keep adding chlorine?

I see the TF-100 Test Kit (which we will get when it's time for a new one) has an option for salt test strips. Should I pick up some salt test strips and see if the levels in my pool are good or not?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Okay I am going to share a link with you: Basic Pool Care Schedule - Trouble Free Pool In the beginning you WILL need to test daily to help learn your pools needs and such.

You are going to need to dial in your SWG to find what YOUR pool needs. You might need to run the pump longer to get enough FC out of the SWG or you might need to up the % of the SWG output. We can/will help you dial it all in.

You pH WILL go up for a while since you have new plaster. As the plaster cures it pushes the pH so you and muriatic acid will be friends for a while. It could take as little as 3 months or as long as 6 months.

Other Threads of Interest