New (and first ever) Pool! Dallas, TX

It's a beautiful design! A thought on the decking situation: I'm thinking about dirt/grass getting in the pool via feet. Maybe a stone/paver path to the pool from your existing concrete? That way it's temporary/movable, but you save your sanity a bit. (I think of how dirty kid pools get when they're plopped in the grass!)

It's a beautiful design! A thought on the decking situation: I'm thinking about dirt/grass getting in the pool via feet. Maybe a stone/paver path to the pool from your existing concrete? That way it's temporary/movable, but you save your sanity a bit. (I think of how dirty kid pools get when they're plopped in the grass!)

42ae8ad134c1a8a642200094011aacac.jpg

Thank you! And I definitely agree - we’ve been thinking of adding something like this picture eventually. Large stones separated by a few inches grass or low maintenance ground cover. We just want things to look as natural as possible so as not to add more concrete while still being practical like you mentioned about not wanting grass and dirt in the pool.

6f75c39010f0ba3944e348d7895afcfa.jpg

So we signed our contract and picked out tile and pebble sheen yesterday! Already rethinking the pebble sheen color of blue granite but I’m betting we will be happy with any of the colors. We were reconsidering aqua blue yesterday so we may switch before the process starts. We decided we want the tile to look natural and somewhat match the flagstone so hopefully it will be close! Permit process first week of January then they’ll set a dig date, can’t believe it’s happening so quickly! We also found out we need to reroute our sewer line so that should be interesting (and costly).

Good picks there!

Make sure to ask for the waterline tile to be brought a little early so you can pick through the boxes. There might be some that are extra pretty that you will want put on the eye fall places. Where the eye falls as you walk out to the pool. Then there will be some that are plain ugly so you will want to hide those LOL

BOOOOOOOOO on having to move the line :( At least you found out BEFORE they started digging!!! :shock: we had one build where it was found during the dig............ewwww to the max!

Kim:kim:

I think it's a great idea to wait to make a final decision on the decking. I had dirt around my pool the first season. I too have grass b/c I wanted a more natural look w grass. I've had it 3 seasons and I love it. It's super cheap compared to pavers or even concrete and you can easily remove it to add concrete or pavers in the future. Grass by the stairs would get pulverized if you have more than a couple of people using the pool so I did pavers on the stairs end. If you do it, lay sod though (not seed).

29408867187_85f19f8724.jpg

Reactions: LiveHereNow
I think it's a great idea to wait to make a final decision on the decking. I had dirt around my pool the first season. I too have grass b/c I wanted a more natural look w grass. I've had it 3 seasons and I love it. It's super cheap compared to pavers or even concrete and you can easily remove it to add concrete or pavers in the future. Grass by the stairs would get pulverized if you have more than a couple of people using the pool so I did pavers on the stairs end. If you do it, lay sod though (not seed).

Fantastic job!! I’m doing the same in Houston with grass between large concrete slabs.

What kind if grass did you use??

Good picks there!

Make sure to ask for the waterline tile to be brought a little early so you can pick through the boxes. There might be some that are extra pretty that you will want put on the eye fall places. Where the eye falls as you walk out to the pool. Then there will be some that are plain ugly so you will want to hide those LOL

BOOOOOOOOO on having to move the line :( At least you found out BEFORE they started digging!!! :shock: we had one build where it was found during the dig............ewwww to the max!

Thanks and that’s a great idea about going through the tile boxes! And ya the sewer line looks to be in rough condition anyway so it’s probably for the best that we tackle it now anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fantastic job!! I’m doing the same in Houston with grass between large concrete slabs.

What kind if grass did you use??

I’m wondering the same from that post! What kind of grass are you thinking to use? I was thinking to replant the yard with Bermuda since I currently have St. Augustine which I do not like the texture of.

Thanks for the input! Yours looks so nice - I like how you did them all the way around. And that’s definitely something I did not consider, so I’ll have to see how the stairs area gets used. We don’t have kids so it may be ok but we may end up wanting a little more there anyway.

I’m wondering the same from that post! What kind of grass are you thinking to use? I was thinking to replant the yard with Bermuda since I currently have St. Augustine which I do not like the texture of.

5f264d876097b6d8f1ff1c1c7932cddc.jpg

This is the best photo I have at the moment. I am installing large slabs with grass between each of them and between them and the pool. I’m considering Momo Grass. But I’m not really sure that it’s the correct application for Momo. Bermuda may be a solution, but I’m concerned about the radiant heat (I live in Houston) coming off those slabs - it may retard the Bermuda. Thoughts?

This is the best photo I have at the moment. I am installing large slabs with grass between each of them and between them and the pool. I’m considering Momo Grass. But I’m not really sure that it’s the correct application for Momo. Bermuda may be a solution, but I’m concerned about the radiant heat (I live in Houston) coming off those slabs - it may retard the Bermuda. Thoughts?

That looks really nice! Hm I hadn’t heard that about Bermuda, but I’m not originally from Texas so I still have some plant research to do! I’ll have to take that into consideration.

Being from houston, the heat, and possible maintenance of grass... I’d go with the home town original, AstroTurf. Always looks green and nice and no fuss.

We are finally getting started! Our gas line was rerouted yesterday since it used to go through the middle of the yard, and they are going to start digging for the pool next week!! There were tons of large rocks when they dug for the gas line so we are expecting to have to pay for rock time next week...I have no idea how long that will be but if anyone has any guesses or experience with that let me know!

Attachments

• 9A2EF307-66C9-4F29-BABD-C268E9313A23.jpeg
    9A2EF307-66C9-4F29-BABD-C268E9313A23.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 27
Let some of the MUD begin!!!

Time line=longer than you want and will never seem to end! Don't go banking on any kind of time line. Just as for what step is next.

Do you have any idea how many builds your PB has right now? That will impact your time line as much as anything due to subs backing up.

Reactions: Awp14
Let some of the MUD begin!!!

Time line=longer than you want and will never seem to end! Don't go banking on any kind of time line. Just as for what step is next.

Do you have any idea how many builds your PB has right now? That will impact your time line as much as anything due to subs backing up.

I’m not really worried about when it gets finished, just how long it takes for them to get through the rock! Since we have to pay extra for the rock time. I haven’t heard if it’s usually a few days or one full 8 hr day. I am sure it depends but I have no idea on that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.