New (and first ever) Pool! Dallas, TX

I like the idea of using the same flag stone. It will make it all tie together! This will be fun to plan! Make sure to share your ideas.

Kim:kim:
We definitely will! I’m so excited to start on the projects we can do ourselves once they are done. Hoping the plaster happens early this week!! And then I assume that’s it...besides the “pool school” and startup stuff

Reactions: Awp14
Ask your PB what kit he is providing then share with us so we can fill in any holes.

Here is a set of links on how to care for your pool:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Here ya go!!!

Ok perfect thank you!! As soon as we get more information and the schedule for plaster I will post here. ? can’t believe it’s happening so soon.

So we failed our electrical inspection this week because of “need perimeter bond per NEC”. Not sure what that is, but hopefully that gets fixed and reinspected soon!

We also checked out the rocks/bricks/pavers we currently have to potentially build a path to the pool but we decided they didn’t look quite right so we will need to get some large flagstone stepping stones.

Anyway, hoping for a more productive week next week!

WHAT?? Okay here ya go. Look over all of your pics real careful. Do you have any good pics of the pool before they put the decking/coping in? If so you should be able to find a wire that goes all the way around the pool in a full circle back to the equipment pad and tied in there. In fact go look at your equipment and see if you see a wire coming out of the ground to your pump. I will look with you if I have time later.

WHAT?? Okay here ya go. Look over all of your pics real careful. Do you have any good pics of the pool before they put the decking/coping in? If so you should be able to find a wire that goes all the way around the pool in a full circle back to the equipment pad and tied in there. In fact go look at your equipment and see if you see a wire coming out of the ground to your pump. I will look with you if I have time later.

Ok ya! There is the one that goes all around the pool, copper a ground wire I assume. Since there’s no decking we can see everything pretty much. So you’re saying it’s something with that?

Here’s a link to a picture where you can see it. I can look at the equipment in the morning!

That is how your pool looks right now?? How could he not see that? It will be interesting to see what you find when you look at the equipment pad. Maybe they did not take the wire all the way back there? It might be worth your time to put a call in and see if you can talk to the inspector and ask him what he was looking for and did not find. Make sure to post here so I can learn from you and help someone else down the road if this comes up on their build.

Now I can talk about the walkway.................are you thinking of having grass growing between them or having them touch aka a solid path of stone? Will you go to the stone yard and pick out your stones? That would be SO fun! Well until you try to pick them up LOL

That is how your pool looks right now?? How could he not see that? It will be interesting to see what you find when you look at the equipment pad. Maybe they did not take the wire all the way back there? It might be worth your time to put a call in and see if you can talk to the inspector and ask him what he was looking for and did not find. Make sure to post here so I can learn from you and help someone else down the road if this comes up on their build.

Now I can talk about the walkway.................are you thinking of having grass growing between them or having them touch aka a solid path of stone? Will you go to the stone yard and pick out your stones? That would be SO fun! Well until you try to pick them up LOL

Ok here are more pictures:

Haha we actually just decided we are going to completely all grass this year, and figure out what we want next year in case we change our minds after knowing more how we use the pool. But I think that would be the idea, having large stones with grass between them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see wire there as well. I don't understand why you failed? What does your PB have to say?

LOL on the grass decision right when I asked about it! Go ahead and order these:
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Bouffant-Spun-Bounded-Non-Woven-Hospital/dp/B0725QKTTX/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hair+nets&qid=1553454769&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1 These will help keep the small stuff like grass and dog hair from getting to the filter. That and having a foot bath and you should be good to go!

Ok thanks!! Haha I know, we just figured too much going on right now to make a final decision on the stone and we just decided to hire someone to do the sprinklers and sod too which we initially were going to do ourselves. It’s getting too hot here ?

So I put that product...on the skimmer basket? Is that right?

The hair nets are aka skimmer socks when you buy them at the big box store. You put them INSIDE the skimmer basket and put the elastic over the lip of the basket. This way it cannot be pulled into the pump. Some people put a rock or such on the net to keep it from floating up when you turn the pump off. BUT make sure the rock is too big to fit down the pipe!!!!

LOL so working with your wallet instead of your back!! My back thanks you!

Reactions: BowserB
The hair nets are aka skimmer socks when you buy them at the big box store. You put them INSIDE the skimmer basket and put the elastic over the lip of the basket. This way it cannot be pulled into the pump. Some people put a rock or such on the net to keep it from floating up when you turn the pump off. BUT make sure the rock is too big to fit down the pipe!!!!

LOL so working with your wallet instead of your back!! My back thanks you!

Haha ya and I’m thinking the mosquitoes will hatch soon too ? thanks again for the tip on the skimmers! That makes a lot of sense.

So, do you happen to know if that copper wire is permanent? Are we just supposed to cover it with grass since we aren’t getting decking? It’s tied in with a clamp to a couple pieces of the rebar which they haven’t cut yet.

OH that is a VERY good question I don't know the answer to!!! Hold on while I call in a couple of people who should know. While we are waiting for them let me ask if there is any metal in the pool like steps or rail so they know what you have to work with. You will not be adding anything else by the coping other than grass right?

@bdavis466 @Pool Clown input please

OH that is a VERY good question I don't know the answer to!!! Hold on while I call in a couple of people who should know. While we are waiting for them let me ask if there is any metal in the pool like steps or rail so they know what you have to work with. You will not be adding anything else by the coping other than grass right?

@bdavis466 @Pool Clown input please

That is correct! Thank you for the help! There won’t be any other metal, and nothing besides coping + grass.

If it is a bare copper wire, it is a bonding wire. It's purpose is to make all the metal in and around the pool area common. Think of it like the ground in your car being all the metal surfaces. Steel in the pool structure, metal ladders and rails, metal in the decking (if applicable), all the motors at the equipment along with the heater jacket, and any other metal at the equipment. Don't cut it. If you aren't going to have decks, you still need it. You may want to scratch a little trench and bury it (after the inspector looks at it), and forget it.

Ok so I may need to have the wire buried but it’s also attached to the rebar and those pieces are sticking up so I need them to do something about that. I’ll email them this morning to figure out why we failed and what the end result of the wire will look like. Thank you!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.