New and confused

Jul 8, 2016
Trappe, pa
Hello all! New to the forums but not new to pool ownership. We put in an 18,000 gallon above ground pool when we moved in to our house 5 years ago and I've struggled with it ever since. I've been reading the forums and am hoping to gain the knowledge to finally get my chemicals balanced. I live in the NE and only have the pool open from May - September and feel like I spend most of that time struggling to keep things balanced. At least once a year I get a terrible algae outbreak. I struggle keeping my chlorine levels up. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: There's no need for pool care to be so frustrating. If you have an understanding of our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and use those Vital Links in my signature below, you should do well. Of course water management is based on accurate home testing with a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That is an essential part of the equation. Test strips and free local testing will mess you up almost every time. So get familiar with those links provided, obtain your own test kit, and post a full set of water results. We'll be happy to assist you all the way. Thanks for posting.
Test Kits Compared