New AG pool, planning the build

ScottMB

Mar 26, 2021
East Lansing MI
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all! I've been lurking here for some time and wanted to get a bit involved to get a few questions answered and hopefully share some of my own learning. For now, an intro:

This is my first time owning a pool, and it's been a grand learning adventure making equipment selections! I'm pretty happy with what I've got and now working through engaging contractors to get the site ready for the build (side note - prep costs are approaching 30% of the cost of the pool itself...so much for DIY saving money :p ). We've owned a hot tub at a previous house so I'm familiar with water chemistry, this will be at a different scale with some new variables, should be fun!

Maybe "controversial" for this site - I'm not doing saltwater, I looked long and hard but ultimately couldn't justify the cost of a salt-resistant pool wall with the prep costs and the rest of the extras. I also looked at the Frog system and alternative media for the filter and thanks in part to great info on this site decided to keep everything simple: chlorine and sand for me!

Current status: pool parts in the garage, landscaper lined up in a couple weeks to grade the lawn/level the pool area/deliver sand for the base. Electrician is working through permit requirements before giving a quote. Gas line is pending a second quote, my first contractor tried to gouge me to run ~25' of pipe from the outside meter. This might get put on hold til late summer, depending on the rest of the costs. I'm getting utilities marked so I can complete my building permit...

I'm discovering a bunch of little extras in order to get started: supplies for electrical bonding, check valves and 3 way valves, etc. I'll post questions in the relevant areas.

I've likely gone overboard with heating (solar cover no-brainer, but 2x solar pods AND an external heater) - I have a dream of being able to swim from Mother's Day to Halloween in Mid-Michigan, and that's creating a very interesting piping schematic.

Off to the right places to talk turkey about plumbing and the real chemicals needed to treat water for the very first time. I look forward to chatting!

~ Scott

Spiderman Hello GIF by MOODMAN