Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hopefully this is the right place on the forum to post this….

Not pool related, but hoping to get this figured out.
I use a diaphragm air pump to transfer straight pool chlorine from point A to B. After I’m done using the pump I flush it out with approximately 10 gallons of fresh water. Obviously there is still some chlorine residue inside the pump. How much, I have no idea as I can’t test it. I would like to neutralize any remnants of chlorine within the pump for in hope the internals would last longer for me.
I emailed Cisco about their Sodium Thiosulfate. Their response was
“Generally, it takes about 7 parts of sodium thiosulfate to neutralize 1 part of sodium hypochlorite. In other words, you'll probably end up using 7 g of sodium thiosulfate for every gram of chlorine. Test with a test strip or kit to confirm.”

Is anyone capable of breaking this down Barney style?

Read here about ways to neutralize chlorine. You can use as ascorbic acid or hydrogen peroxide. Pump one of them through your pump. The problem is whatever you pump through the pump may leave a residual that then affects the next batch of chlorine pumped.

I would just have the pump dedicated to pumping chlorine and accept whatever life it has.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.