Neighbor renting out their "Poolside Paradise." Renters keep coming to my house.

To the insurance company, once you take payment, you are operating a business.
Yep. We had a 2nd home that we bought under an LLC because we think at some point we might rent it. Our existing insurer didn’t provide coverage for rental property and others that we explored had separate policies for rental property. Interestingly, both allowed short term rentals, like AirBnB. That was several years ago, though.

Reactions: newdude
Owning a residential rental property can be considered to be a business and specific local laws apply.

Running a rental business like Airbnb or Swimply falls under a different classification than a residential rental property.

In many cities, you must register, get a permit, or obtain a license before you list your property or accept guests.

Certain types of short-term bookings may be prohibited altogether.

Local governments vary greatly in how they enforce these laws.

Penalties may include fines or other enforcement.

Reactions: BowserB
I’m not sure a privately owned pool rented out to a specific group of people under a rental agreement would be considered “open to the public.” Just like a rental house isn’t open to the public - it’s rented under a private agreement between the 2 parties, most of which include liability waivers, which may or may not be enforceable. I haven’t stayed in a Holdiay Inn in years, though, so my legal skills are rusty.
Well, in this case the OP is in Maryland and the State of Maryland has an easy test - "Available to an individual upon the payment of a fee"

Once you accept money it gains commercial status in Maryland.

Reactions: BowserB and JamesW
There was a drowning in our area over the 4th. Second one at this residence. A Houston boy died after being found in a pool during a large party, police said

"There had been a large party at the house when the drowning occurred, police said. La Marque police said the outdoor area of the house had been rented out to people who didn't live at the residence, according to the newspaper."

It was the second drowning at this same residence. A 4 year old drowned in same pool while at a party in 2014, though don't think pool sharing was part of the scenario then, but was a rental house.
#1 reason I will NOT be renting out my pool anytime soon ever.

That is terrible 😢
Right after our pool was installed our friend’s little girl drowned in their above ground pool while they were having a party & getting all the kids ready to swim. She was hidden amongst the floats so they didn’t see her when they were looking all over for her after realizing she was gone. It happened in minutes. For this reason I wanted nothing obstructing the view of the pool so we went with wire fencing & we always remove all floats/toys each day. We also have a self closing gate with a magna latch on it that can be locked with a key, door/window alarms & a camera on the pool with alerts on my phone. Any one of these things could have possibly helped save her life. It breaks my heart 💔
When we have visitors using the pool, I never get into the pool or spa. I'm in shorts, tennis shoes, and a shirt, and I have my phone with me. When asked why I don't come in, I just say, "I'm the waiter. What can I get you?" Someone has to be not having fun. Our small city has swimming pool codes--self latching gates with the latch at least 5 feet up, unless the gates are padlocked. Any door from the house that opens to pool access must have an alarm that sounds when the door is opened. I don't know how we could stay here if a kid drowned in our pool.

To the person who expressed concern about dripping on the bathroom floor, I'm even more concerned about dripping as they walk through the house to the bathroom. When we have visitors, I have a trail of cheap beach towels from the back door to the bathroom, even though the floor there is ceramic tile. I don't want wet feet slipping on the tile. I've thought about having a half dozen pair of flipflops in various sizes to just leave outside the door. Haven't done it though. We're not going to rent our pool. Ever. I did once have someone from our neighborhood casually ask, "How does a person get to swim in your pool?" "Buy my house!"

I had forgotten about this place until it popped up on my fb feed today- my friend had their kid’s birthday party there this weekend.
They don’t rent it out but there’s a set “donation” amount to reserve it for your group for the day.
It’s super neat but I can’t imagine their insurance costs.

Or their chlorination costs and/or SWCG infrastructure.
I am soooo curious! The article mentions zone filtration so I assume it’s several filters & probably several swg’s or liquid chlorine & acid dispensers - he looks like the diy type so maybe he’s around here somewhere? Definitely a commercial type setup. It’s pretty amazing. But I really can’t fathom the cost 💲 They stay booked though. It’s a special thing around here to be invited to a party at Thornton’s pool.

Reactions: PoolStored
I am soooo curious! The article mentions zone filtration so I assume it’s several filters & probably several swg’s or liquid chlorine & acid dispensers - he looks like the diy type so maybe he’s around here somewhere? Definitely a commercial type setup. It’s pretty amazing. But I really can’t fathom the cost 💲 They stay booked though. It’s a special thing around here to be invited to a party at Thornton’s pool.
I bet if you went over there and explained that you are a bit of a pool buff, and are super curious how he maintains the pool, that he would explain it to you and even allow you to take some pics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And sued the first time around. I haven't looked up to see the disposition of the case.

Oye, but this part of the story, "...the pool was surrounded by grass and dirt, and because guests ran around the back yard and then entered the pool, the water became cloudy and dirty, to the point that the bottom of the pool could not be seen."

So this has happened a couple times now, fortunately we've been home both times. Back in June we're enjoying our pool and two strange cars show up in the driveway. I ask if I can help them, "Hi we're here for a pool rental?" Uhh, not at this house? She had my address but someone else's name I didn't recognize (not any of my small neighborhood residents either). I assumed the poor woman got scammed, but she and the other 4-5 cars that pulled up behind her in the next few minutes would have to take it up with whoever they paid.

Fast forward to today, two cars pull in and a guy in his bathing suit shows up at the door, repeatedly ringing the doorbell as I'm on a conference call. He says he's here for a pool rental but actually had my neighbor's address two doors down. Evidently he didn't pay any attention to my house number and just saw that I have a pool from the street and am the first house. We directed him to the neighbor's house and he was apologetic. However, I just checked my surveillance cameras and find that two of these individuals decided to first stroll into my backyard where my wife and children were swimming before coming to ring the doorbell.

Anyone else have to deal with this sort of thing? I'm really concerned about somebody just showing up at my house when I'm not home and deciding to use the pool assuming this is the one they rented. I have absolutely no appetite for strangers using my pool and have no idea how $75/hour compensates my neighbor enough to do so (and letting them use inside bathrooms??), but I really don't want to have to worry about this. Unfortunately I have no HOA (the one time I wanted one!) so not sure I have any resource here. I guess I'm going to have to put signs up or something, but what a ridiculous thing to have to deal with.
I only read your first post, and I'm sure it's been said, so I guess this is just a "+1." I can't imagine why anyone with a pool would not lock their gates (or anyone without a pool, for that matter). Not just with a pull-string latch, but a true keyed or combo lock. That's what I do, anyway. I actually installed Schlage keyless deadbolts, so I can just push keypad buttons to get through. Safety. Security. Peace of mind.

OK, got a chance to read the thread. Wow. lots to unpack.

Gotta lock your pool gates, folks. As I mentioned, I installed these on my gates. Took a bit of doing, but they end up going on just like any door to the outside. I found flip up plastic housings that go over the locks and keep most of the rain off. From the inside out, it's just a turn of a deadbolt latch. From the outside in, its a keypad code. These locks can have a bunch of codes, so I have my code, family members each have theirs, and then one each for any vendors I might want to grant access. Any code can be erased, which means if I fire a vendor, or want to remove "access rights" to anyone, I just erase their code. Then, everyone else doesn't have to learn a new code. That's problematic with a single combo lock solution. Never have to have my keys, and going through the gate just takes a few seconds longer than having no locks. Lights up at night, too.

schlage lock.jpg
I can't now remember where I learned it, but when I first got into "landlording," investment property purchase rule #1: don't buy a rental property with a pool or spa! Maintenance issues aside, the liability risk makes an outdoor body of water a deal breaker. I'd never rent my pool for a lot of reasons, but the liability would be reason #1. It's one thing to have to clean up some disgusting mess once is a while, but to take the chance that some random accident, that might not even be your fault, could cost you your pool, your house, and your entire life's savings? For some extra cash? The stress alone from constantly worrying about that wouldn't be worth the money, even if nothing ever happened!

One of the things I first learned when I started having family friends over, nobody watches the kids, not even their own kids! They pay attention to each other, their drinks and food, and their phones. That's it. You have to be lifeguard on duty. You can't really trust anyone else. When there are kids in the pool, if I have to stop watching for a bit, I assign lifeguard duty to one of the other adults. I expect there's a maybe 20% chance they'll pay attention to the pool for the first minute or two, so I really can't be away from the pool longer than that! For our bigger kid parties, we have hired a professional life guard. Which basically means the chances go up to maybe 50% that the pool is being watched. Plus they want breaks every hour! It's pretty difficult to protect a pool during a big party in any way other than you watching it like a hawk yourself. Also, I ban the big floatie toys for large groups, which block visibility to the bottom. There is no way I would trust a group of strangers to monitor safety at a pool. No way.

Yah, no stangers in my bathrooms! Yikes. If others were to consider this, you'd have to have a pool house, or heck, rent a port-a-potty for the pool rental season, with one of those attached hand-washing stations. I have a "pee pot" for the kids, who get a kick out of using it, but ya can't really advertise that as a pool rental feature!

I'm considering converting the two-bedroom end of my house to a private suite. Might be for guests, or visiting family. I thought maybe for a live-in caretaker someday, or even some extra air-bnb-type income. But before I add the outside door that would make that a reality, the first thing I'm going to do is add another locking gate that would separate that outside door from the pool. Nobody I'd let use that end of the house would have access to the pool. Again, the liability of that is just too uncomfortable.

I recently had a large adult-only pool party. After they left for the night, I was putting the vac back in and could barely see the bottom. Yikes. I thought the kids were bad!! When they're in the water for hours, and people are handing them drinks, but they're not getting out... don't even have to do the math on that. And these were friends!! Can you imagine the abuse your pool and yard would endure from strangers, who think $75 for the hour entitles them to any sort of mischief or depraved activity. And all of the pools in those videos?!? They were absolutely disgusting. I wouldn't want to rent a pool like that (for myself, or to others, yuck, either way). And I certainly wouldn't want to turn my pool into that!

That guy's big pool with the rope swing and the diving board and the king-o-the-hill diving platform, etc? Accident, accident, accident, accident waiting to happen!

Then, of course, the maintenance, insurance, licenses, permits, commissions, rental management, paperwork. Cleaning the floors, the bathroom, the yard? And then there is the aspect of waiting on people? Dealing with strangers? People pleasing jobs are the lowest. I've traveled a fair bit. There is no more demanding, rude, entitled, self-centered creature than an American on vacation. We are the worst! Why would I want one of those in my house and yard!?!

It just all sounds bad to me, on so many levels. Lock your gates. Enjoy your pool with family and friends. The end.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about this place until it popped up on my fb feed today- my friend had their kid’s birthday party there this weekend.
They don’t rent it out but there’s a set “donation” amount to reserve it for your group for the day.
It’s super neat but I can’t imagine their insurance costs.

Pretty sure you have to sign a waiver - also probably why they don't charge a fee ;)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Pretty sure you have to sign a waiver - also probably why they don't charge a fee ;)
All my liability paranoia aside, it's gotta be really amazing for that guy, watching all the fun and joy he provides to kids of all ages. It must be really rewarding.

• Love
Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.