Neighbor renting out their "Poolside Paradise." Renters keep coming to my house.

Ah, govment. A law that prohibits restricting something, then goes on to list all the restrictions! Not to mention residential and commercial zoning exist for a reason (many reasons) and has been a thing forever.

States: "Hey Federal Government, don't tell us what to do.
States: "Hey Counties and Cities: do what we tell you to do!"

Follow the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
It's quite a small world. I have an uncle that lives about 2 blocks from that "offender's" house. I have used Toro several times and have been pretty impressed...much cheaper/easier to deal with than with a traditional car rental business.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
I have used [Turo] several times and have been pretty impressed...much cheaper/easier to deal with than with a traditional car rental business.
Yes, but in the unlikely event of a problem you can be REALLY screwed. For example, many insurers and credit-card insurance providers treat Turo differently from traditional car-rental agencies. So at the very least, you should make certain that your own auto insurance (or umbrella liability) extends to cars that you rent through Turo, so you won't be stuck with only Turo's minimum state-mandated liability coverage, which is hardly anything.

Each family seems to have 4-5 cars, so sure there's extended dwellers, and both sides of the street are lined with cars. A street is a public roadway, not a driveway, last I checked.

Sounds like most of New York city and its suburbs. Many garages have become bedrooms or man caves. Finding street parking can be impossible.

In my little suburb of Milwaukee you have to have a daily/monthly/quarterly/yearly permit to park on the streets between 3am and 6am.

I couldn't even imagine renting out my pool to someone - seems like a disaster/lawsuit waiting to happen.....Although I have PTSD from dealing with my rental property for years - some of the most stressful expensive times ever! So there will be no renting in my future! I'm sorry this is happening to you - what a pain!

Reactions: Decoy205
Yes, but in the unlikely event of a problem you can be REALLY screwed. For example, many insurers and credit-card insurance providers treat Turo differently from traditional car-rental agencies. So at the very least, you should make certain that your own auto insurance (or umbrella liability) extends to cars that you rent through Turo, so you won't be stuck with only Turo's minimum state-mandated liability coverage, which is hardly anything.
I use the Turo insurance (provided by Traveler's) since as you mentioned, traditional CC insurance products and car insurance don't provide coverage (normally). There are different levels of insurance through Turo, and mirror car insurance. There is a base 750K liability coverage for the car owner and the "renter" can also get an ADDITIONAL coverage of up to 750K which brings the total liability coverage to $1.5MM.

This thread started out referencing Swimply, renting out your pool. Not a good deal for me and the $$$,$$$ I spent doing an owner/build on my pool.

This thread has changed subject to Turo, renting out your car. Hadn't heard of it, till this thread. I also spent $$$,$$$ on my car. I absolutely wouldn't rent out my German 5 seat luxury sports car to anyone, definitely not some stranger. It is hard enough letting my daughter drive it and I love her.

This thread started out referencing Swimply, renting out your pool. Not a good deal for me and the $$$,$$$ I spent doing an owner/build on my pool.

This thread has changed subject to Turo, renting out your car. Hadn't heard of it, till this thread. I also spent $$$,$$$ on my car. I absolutely wouldn't rent out my German 5 seat luxury sports car to anyone, definitely not some stranger. It is hard enough letting my daughter drive it and I love her.
There is something inherently wrong with "5 seat" and "sports car" being used in the same sentence. ;)

I did not even know this was a thing. I looked and all the pools near me are getting 30-50/hr. Not even worth to being close to worth the inconvenience or liability.

Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't even like my [now fired] pool guy coming into my yard once a week, as it always felt to me like a horrible invasion of privacy! And he was working for me! The thought of allowing strangers into my yard, and bathroom, every few days?! And I'd have to work for them? Yikes. I still consider the $150 a month I no longer shell out for pool service as money in my pocket (thanks to TFP). That's enough "profit" for me...

I use the Turo insurance (provided by Traveler's) since as you mentioned, traditional CC insurance products and car insurance don't provide coverage (normally). There are different levels of insurance through Turo, and mirror car insurance. There is a base 750K liability coverage for the car owner and the "renter" can also get an ADDITIONAL coverage of up to 750K which brings the total liability coverage to $1.5MM.
Yes, but... The car owner's liability coverage doesn't help the car renter, and that $750K 3rd-party liability is only available for cars worth under $25K (and some cars worth $25-$60K). And it costs 70-100% as much as the rental.

If you're renting something fun or valuable, Turo only offers the minimum liability coverage mandated by law ($25K for you in OK, $15K for me in CA). And even then, they charge 25-40% of the rental cost for it.

A year's worth of $2 million personal umbrella coverage can cost less than a week's worth of Turo's terrible coverage. If you rent from Turo often and use their insurance instead of your own, you're getting ripped off.

Back on topic, I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing people rent AirBnb houses with pools, then list the pools on Swimply.

Back on topic, I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing people rent AirBnb houses with pools, then list the pools on Swimply.
Ha, ha, can you imagine!? No one topping off the chlorine, or taking care of floors or bathrooms or towels or garbage. That'd be a fun week to clean up after.

I just saw a Facebook ad for "renting" out your yard for a dog to play/run in................nope again!
I dunno, for an extra $5 I'd babysit. You guys go get your errands done. Me and sparky gonna play catch. Go on then. Hehe.

Reactions: kimkats
I dunno, for an extra $5 I'd babysit. You guys go get your errands done. Me and sparky gonna play catch. Go on then. Hehe.
I’m with the Dude on this one. My wife and I love dogs but we’ve been dog-less for around 10 years. Sounds like a good way to get our dog fix without the responsibility!

Sounds like a good way to get our dog fix without the responsibility!

Sign up for Rover or one of the other dog walking apps. Whenever we go on vacation and can't take the dog with us we drop off the dog for summer camp at somebody's house. Make some bucks, spoil a pupper, then give it back to the owners.

Reactions: jark87 and Newdude
We are building our pool now. Tile stage. But we have no intent on renting our pool. We do want to build a casita to possibly rent, but don’t want to include pool.

We do have a Jeep we rent on TURO tho. I think it’s great so far. (since May) We live in a touristy town and they pickup/drop off at airport or grocery store. It pays the monthly payment!

We have a neighbor who’s been renting their place for a long time and just added the pool to Swimply. I was thinking of renting it for my soccer or baseball team. It’s probably the best pool ever! No exaggeration. Their pictures aren’t even that great. The right waterfall is a slide! I have a ton of photos when we used it from old owner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.