Needing advice

Hello!

Here are my results just now:
(*See post just above with note on this measurement)

*FC 19
CC 0
CYA 70 or 80
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 80

I just added 2 gal, which should increase FC to around 25-26 range.
Should I add one more?
Should I retest FC?

Also at 5am today FC was 28 and CC was .5 so I have lost a ton of FC today.

Pool is pretty much blue but still quite cloudy. I had it to this condition several days ago then lost ground again. I don't want that to happen again!

We have brushed twice twice today and backwashed. Last night's backwash was green. Today was just a little dirty but not green.

One more thing... I'm worried about how long it is going to take to reduce the FC to swimmable level. We are out of school in 2 days and I'm off work for a week and the goal was to have lots of pool time!

Thanks for your patience with me.

One more thing... I'm worried about how long it is going to take to reduce the FC to swimmable level.
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Life goes on, but as soon as you can, get it back to SLAM level. Check in the morning, when you get home, after dinner, before bed, at the minimum.

Reactions: Jubenez
Update.
Pool is still blue but cloudy. Slight improvement in clarity since last night but pattern on shallow end still not visible.
Overshot with my chlorine last night.
5am FC 36 CC 1
3:30pm FC 27 CC 0
1 gallon added after the 3:30 test.
2 kids begging to jump in ?

Attachments

• 20190522_164055.jpg
    20190522_164055.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190522_164052.jpg
    20190522_164052.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 19
As soon as you can see the bottom of the deep end - let them swim!
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Reactions: Jubenez
Still in SLAM mode and waiting for water to clear up. Can see the bottom of shallow (not clearly) but still cannot see bottom of deep. Is it normal to be this slow? I can see a little deeper each day but just still feels very slow from my experience.
CYA 80
FC 30
CC .5 OR 1
(using 5ml sample to conserve reagent since my FC requirement is so high)
Brushing daily, running the pool cleaner, filter running 24 hr/day with backwash as needed.
We did a deep clean of the sand last weekend. I'm going to add DE this morning and see if that helps.
Since CC is not 0 does that mean I'm still fighting algae?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sand filters are the slowest to clear. If you add DE to your filter, make sure you watch the pressure very closely because it can climb quite rapidly.
I added the DE and it increased pressure from 17 to 18. After an hour or so it was near 24, so I backwashed and added DE again, putting it back around 18. Now it is up to 23 again. Do I continue this same process? Thanks!

Update. The bottom of deep is finally barely visible. I did 3 or 4 cycles with DE aid in my sand filter yesterday and will do more today. The added benefit is that with all the backwashing and water replacement, my CYA now appears to be nearer 60.
Today the FC is 24 and CC 0. I will let the kids swim. Yestersay I allowed shallow end only, old suits and no one got their hair wet. I'm worried about the effects on my girls long hair of a high FC. Can anyone share experience with this? Their hair usually becomes much less manageable in summer.
My only lingering concern is quality of sand in filter as it seems to be much slower to clear this year. We did do a deep clean, I'm wondering if we should have replaced sand.
Thanks for sticking with me thru this. I feel much more confident and knowledgeable than I did just a week ago! Now if I can just prevent loss of this progress during our upcoming 10 day vacation!!

Attachments

• 20190525_063313.jpg
    20190525_063313.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 12
As you can see from Avatar - I am not one to consult with on hair ------

Though I would suppose that pH and CC has more effect than FC.

Sand should be fine unless compromised. If your deep clean did not find it clumped up, then it should be fine.

Start planning now for vacation. Get your CYA lower as you can as you will need to use trichlor. Can a neighbor add liquid chlorine every once in awhile?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.