Need to replace my pump. Should I just go through the pool store?

Gregger840

Jun 3, 2019
Lacey, NJ
My Hayward 1.5HP SuperPump is on its last legs. It is about 8 or 9 years old at this point, and I already had the bearings replaced on it 2 years ago. It's currently making such a loud noise that you can't have a conversation if you're standing next to it. That said, I'm trying to figure out if attempting to replace the filter on my own will be more trouble than its worth.

Regardless, I want to make the best decision when it comes to purchasing a new pump. It's clear that a variable speed pump is definitely the way to go, and to provide some information, the pool is 27,000 gallons with two returns and a line for a water slide/waterfall which were never actually installed. There is a center drain and a skimmer. A few questions:
1.) Is replacing the pump a manageable job for one person? I tend to be good with repairs, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
2.) Should a VS pump require more/less/the same horsepower?
3.) My filter and control panel (Goldline Aqua Plus) are both Hayward. Is there a benefit in purchasing a Hayward Pump? And along those lines, is there a specific pump that I should consider?
4.) I have never replaced the sand in the filter. Is that an issue?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP

1) Only you can judge what you can handle. Installing the pump takes some 240V wiring, some PVC cutting and gluing, and connecting a low voltage cable. Review the manuals for the Aqua Plus and the pump and decide if you want to take it on. https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...uals/aqua-plus-pl-plus-installaton-manual.pdf

2) A VS pump is a variable HP pump. Get a TriStar VS pump 1.85 HP or 2.7 HP to be compatible with your Aqua Plus.

3) Only a Hayward VS pump can be controlled by your Aqua Plus. I have a bit of a concern depending on how old your Aqua Plus board is if it supports VS pump control. I don't know if it is in all generations of Aqua Plus. @JamesW you know?

4) It is good to take a look at the sand in your filter once in a while. Sand Filter Use and Care - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.