Need to Lower TA?

rldaniel

Silver Supporter
Jun 18, 2020
Huntsville, Alabama
I just installed a SWG last week and ended up putting too much salt in. Had to do a partial drain and refill. My reading as of today are:

FC 5.5
TA 90
PH 7.6
CH 190
CYA 60
Salt 3800 (from K-1766)
Salt 3430 (from Clorox Strips)
Temp 84F

From reading the "Water Balance for SWGs" article it seems to suggest that I lower my TA to 50 or 60 and raise my CYA to 80. Also, I am confused about the CSI and LSI calculations. The Circupool SWG manual made a big point of keeping the LSI between -0.2 and 0.2. With the reading now it is LSI is -0.11. If I pull the TA down to 60 the LSI will be -0.35 which Circupool says is bad. If I let the PH rise to 7.8 and keep TA at 60, LSI moves to -0.16 and I'm good again.

As you can see, I am confused. Before I start adjusting chemistry, I am looking for advice.

Thanks

Negative CSI is of no consequence to the SWCG. As you have a vinyl liner pool, pH is the most important factor after FC.

Your current chemistry is fine. Keep pH in the 7’s and FC in target range for your CYA.

So don't worry about lowing the TA? I am in Alabama and I started running an aerator last week when the water got up to 90F. From what I have read, the aerator will raise the PH, so I wondering if keeping the PH at 7.6 will require a lot of MA. Should I just try and keep it below 7.8 with MA and let the TA naturally drift down? I read somewhere that the PH will be more stable with a lower TA. Is that true? Thanks for the quick response.

I would not focus on lowering the TA. As you add acid to keep the pH in the 7's, the TA will lower on its own.

The pH may not rise as fast if TA is lower. But if you are forcefully aerating, the pH will rise pretty quickly regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.