Need to drain pool due to high salt levels for SWG: drain half or drain whole thing and start fresh?

JenniferMarie90

Feb 16, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hey friends. I've been struggling with my water since I've opened my pool back in 2020. Have already done one full drain that I'm now thinking wasn't necessary. Well, when I did that drain last year my husband added way too many bags of salt. My salt level is currently around 4700. My SWG was still generating chlorine but I was having (what I suspected anyway) lots of calcium carb flakes and my pH crept high much faster than the year before and I couldn't resolve this summer. Every time I did a chlorine drop test my water was super cloudy and when I was under water I could see the flakes. So I think I need to drain. The question is do I start totally fresh with all new water again or drain partially?

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits. Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

Based on your CH, a partial or full drain may be needed. Obviously, this will also help to lower your salt level.

Update your signature to include manufacturers and model numbers for all of your pool equipment. Be sure to add your test kit as well.

Jenn,

Is your actual salt level at 4700 or is your cell just reporting 4700?

I suspect that in your area, the CH in your fill water is pretty high. If so, draining most of the water would be best in my opinion.

What is the CH level in your pool right now?

Thanks,

Jim R.

+1. I remember the drain being for high calcium and we discussed water softener options.

High salt is it's own issue but a wild goose chase here.

Jenn,

Why? Tell us what does not work for you?

Do you use a magnetic stirring device??

Thanks,

Jim R.
See below for results. With the calcium hardness, it never turns the color its supposed to. I've tried all the hints from here and Taylor as well. I'll try again, but I think my other chemistry is so messed up I'll have to drain anyway. Again lol...one day I'll get the hang of this!

pH 6.8
Free chlorine 5
TA 40 (which is weird because it was over 100 in the summer)
CYA 33 (ish)
Sodium Chloride using Taylor drop test 5600 (uh oh...)

Note: my free chlorine drop test has been cloudy all summer too that along with the white flakes in my pool water...

After you add the CH indicator, do you see small red/purplish dots/flakes?

This could be magnesium interference. The small dots will still turn blue at endpoint. However, you can add more indicator for a deeper color which can help.

It's impossible to get a CYA of 33-ish
If it's over 30 and less than 40, round up to 40.

For the CH test, describe in detail exactly how you do the test.
How many drops of R-0010
How many drops of R-0011R
How many drops of R-0012
In what exact order?

For me, when the FC test is cloudy, it's a tell tale sign that my CH is way high.
It doesn't affect the ultimate outdome of the test - pink to clear, even if cloudy.

Are you using PoolMath?
Share your PoolMath logs here so we can all see your test results.

And let's get your signature updated with exact equipment and model numbers, including test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's impossible to get a CYA of 33-ish
If it's over 30 and less than 40, round up to 40.

For the CH test, describe in detail exactly how you do the test.
How many drops of R-0010
How many drops of R-0011R
How many drops of R-0012
In what exact order?

For me, when the FC test is cloudy, it's a tell tale sign that my CH is way high.
It doesn't affect the ultimate outdome of the test - pink to clear, even if cloudy.

Are you using PoolMath?
Share your PoolMath logs here so we can all see your test results.

And let's get your signature updated with exact equipment and model numbers, including test kit.
My apologies, I wasn't sure to round up or down.

I'll have to do another calcium test but I'm honestly not sure how it could be high since I went through the trouble of installing a water softener on my fill line. It almost makes me wonder why I did it at all! And how does everyone else in vegas with hard water keep their water for 5 years. Could it be the high salt interfering with the FC test?

I am not using Poolmath. Maybe after this refill I should start. I'm clearing having issues over here! With the Taylor salt test indicating my salt at 5600...I would think this means a new a fill?

I am not using Poolmath. Maybe after this refill I should start.
Why not?
Start using it today. Don't wait until you refill.
The sooner you start using it, the easier your pool care will become.

Be sure to link it to your forum account.
Track CC, Salt and CSI.

It's all according what the pool water CH was when you started using the water softener and if your water softener is working correctly.
What specific water softener do you have? How many grain capacity? Whole house or pool only?

Let's get your signature updated and include more specific information. Include pool, pool equipmemt (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info. Have a look at mine for inspiration.

Why not?
Start using it today. Don't wait until you refill.
The sooner you start using it, the easier your pool care will become.

Be sure to link it to your forum account.
Track CC, Salt and CSI.

It's all according what the pool water CH was when you started using the water softener and if your water softener is working correctly.
What specific water softener do you have? How many grain capacity? Whole house or pool only?

Let's get your signature updated and include more specific information. Include pool, pool equipmemt (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info. Have a look at mine for inspiration.
I took pics of all equipment. Will update signature but for now will provide info before.

Specific softener: AO-WH-SOFT-350, 35,000 grain. Pool Only. House has separate water softener.

Pool equipment: Hayward tristart VS 950 pump. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 900 SWG. TF100 test kit, Taylor Sodium Chloride salt test K-1766.

Reactions: proavia
Is your SWG an AQR940, rated for 40,000 gallons.
Any automation?

Test the water feeding the autofill from the water softener for CH. It should be at or very close to zero.
I'm guessing there is salt in the water softener brine tank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.