need to add stabilizer....walmart stuff ok?

I am not seeing this in Pool School or my little booklet that came with my K2006 kit. I apologize if I am overlooking it. How much stabilizer (CYA) do I add to go from 0 to 60? (At least I think 60 is the target, based on the "Chlorine/CYA Chart" in the Pool School?) 1 Cup? 5 Cups?

Thanks again. Ever so grateful for you all!

pool calculator suggested 6.6 lbs... to get to 40.. ..I went 8 lbs.. last wednesday... .

I got to thinking .. why all of a sudden.. .did my CYA finally show after the borax... ,,, just another dumb question... thanks.. scott

As Scott eluded to, you can use Pool Calc to figure out how much to add. There are two ways to go about it. You can put the now as zero and the target as 60 and it'll calculate it for you, or you can use the "effects of adding chems" section near the bottom to see what adding a set amount of a chem will do.

In the Pool Calculator, I typed in 0 in the Now column, and 60 in the Target column, then clicked the "Calculate" button and nothing happened...that's when I posted here. But I didn't realize I could tinker with the calc at the bottom and research that way. Thank you again!

It says if I add 96 oz of stabilizer that brings my CYA to 48. If I am reading the Pool School "Chlorine/CYA" chart correctly, my target is 60.

:?: Does the Pool Calculator not like the browser Firefox perhaps? Some sites don't do well with Firefox, my personal favorite browser.

Another :?: And just to clarify on the sock method of adding, I put the stabilizer in pantyhose, and hang over jet in pool to disburse? What is the benefit of doing this over adding through skimmer or directly to pool water?

Did I see that it will take a week for my CYA count to adjust? :shock:

THANK YOU FOLKS - A THOUSAND THANK YOUS!

When using Pool Calc be sure to enter all your numbers, especailly the pool size at the top. I'm sure you are but just wanted to reitterate it.

If you have a clean pool you can add it to the skimmer. The reason not to add it to the skimmer is that if something happens and you have to backwash before a week you could possibly lose a lot of it. The reason not to dump it directly into the pool is that it's a mild acid and could possibly damage your pool by letting it sit on the bottom until it dissolves.

Another And just to clarify on the sock method of adding, I put the stabilizer in pantyhose, and hang over jet in pool to disburse? What is the benefit of doing this over adding through skimmer or directly to pool water?

Did I see that it will take a week for my CYA count to adjust?
24 hours after the stabilizer is dissolved from the sock, you should assume it is there and adjust your FC levels accordingly.

It can take up to a week for the newly added CYA to register on the test. So, don't bother to test for it too early, as you will only be wasting reagents. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.