Need some ideas for shade for pool patio..

We picked up a 12'x12' sun sail last year. You can see part of it in my avatar. We took it down for the winter and this year to get it up and usable, we have it attached to a simple frame of 2x4s. Evenutally, I want to have a pergola and make the sail retractable, but will make do with this for a year or two.

(I saw Costco has a Coolaroo brand 13'x7' on reduced price right now, but didn't look at the price since I don't need it.)

We picked up a 12'x12' sun sail last year. You can see part of it in my avatar. We took it down for the winter and this year to get it up and usable, we have it attached to a simple frame of 2x4s. Evenutally, I want to have a pergola and make the sail retractable, but will make do with this for a year or two.

(I saw Costco has a Coolaroo brand 13'x7' on reduced price right now, but didn't look at the price since I don't need it.)
I thought about a sun sail but would need a big one or maybe more than one lol

Tammy, we used those really big umbrellas for the first 4 years. And with the new weighted bases (versus having to bolt to a deck), a one or more strategically placed may work for you. What I didn't like with the umbrellas was what the wind would do to them, especially gusts and we seem to get lots of gusts. Destroyed one umbrella completely, and the other one I'm afraid to even try to use it.

Good luck on your hunt for shade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went with the 11ft offset cantilever umbrellas. They rotate a full 360 degrees and can adjust with the sun. Side by side I can make a 10X20 (roughly) shaded over our tables. The ones I got had the exact outside diameter as the inside of schedule 40? Black steel pipe so I cemented 2 in the ground and did away with the offset bases. Look like you are too wide to mount them like I did though. My patio is only 9ft wide where our tables are.

I know it says beyond umbrellas but.....Use big umbrellas ......structures will never give you shade in the spots you need unless you have a canopy with 3 sides. Umbrellas allow you to move them throughout the day based sun positioning. we currently use six 11" and shuffle them around because of the way the sun moves, we have a pergola on our house and after 12 pm we are screwed as far as shade.

Last edited:
I use a free standing pergola from www.shadetreecanopies.com. Not the cheapest solution but you can configure lengths and widths. Mine is roughly 16' x 21'. You have your choice of materials and colors for the canopies. They roll on tracks with locks that will release the canopy if the wind is too high so they don't get damaged.

I use a free standing pergola from www.shadetreecanopies.com. Not the cheapest solution but you can configure lengths and widths. Mine is roughly 16' x 21'. You have your choice of materials and colors for the canopies. They roll on tracks with locks that will release the canopy if the wind is too high so they don't get damaged.
I just estimated one of those and it was going to be 20k. More than I want to spend.Thanks though. I believe my husband could build something a lot cheaper.

I just don't won't to be constantly shuffling heavy umbrellas. Trying to save my back. Hurt my back last year and had to have surgery.

A bar near us has a rooftop deck with these:

Lots of different configurations/options, no heavy lifting required.

We have a 13' cantilever that does a full 360 rotation and tilts up to 60 degrees. Depending on where you place it initially it can give you significant coverage.

I purchased the Shade Tree system as a kit a long time ago. The company was just getting started. Now they seem to focus on commercial customers and are priced accordingly. You may be able to integrate their canopies with something you build yourself. I'd think they would work with you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.