Silver Supporter
Dec 10, 2020
Round Rock, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I did a search on this and apparently the thread has not had any response in the past 60 days, so I'm starting another one on this subject.
I'm a total newbie here in the pool world, I do know some stuff, but not what they really do, I worked for a pool supply company.

I had a pool installed and started up on 11/12/20 and the company used something called Pro Team Supreme Plus, and mentioned how it helps with keeping the PH in check and making the water softer and sparkling...sounds a lot like Borate.

My question as you may already know is:
Is Pro Team Supreme Plus the same thing as Borate and is Borate the same thing as Pro Team Supreme Plus?
If I tested for Borates, would that answer my question?
I know they did not put any "Borates" into the pool at start up, as they gave me a list of all the chemicals and what they do however, the name of the chemicals may not say what it actually is.

I have read about it in the pool school that Borate is optional, but I do have a dog, and since this could cause problems should my dog drink any pool water, I need to know.

I'll do my signature once I get all the info/detail of what I actually have, so this will have to do for now....I have a pump, filter, cyclone, UV, Heat Pump and a bunch of valves and PVC piping;)

Welcome to the forum!
I believe that product is sodium tetraborate pentahydrate. It is much easier and cheaper to purchase Boric Acid to add borates to your pool water. You should be very careful adding borates to a pool if an animal may drink the water.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
I believe that product is sodium tetraborate pentahydrate. It is much easier and cheaper to purchase Boric Acid to add borates to your pool water. You should be very careful adding borates to a pool if an animal may drink the water.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you mknauss!
I found this in the link you posted, which basically answered my question:
" Proteam Supreme Plus is Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate and will significantly raise your TA while adding borates to the water. We recommend you use Boric Acid, which doesn't mess with alkalinity."
So it is adding borates, but messes with the TA, where Boric Acid does not and very little to the PH.

Well, I guess I need to get some borate test strips and see where I'm at, and have some boric acid and/or borax on hand.

Thanks again!

Reactions: mknauss
Well, I guess I need to get some borate test strips and see where I'm at, and have some boric acid and/or borax on hand.

Thanks again!

You really only need to add to your borates maybe once a season. Raise it up to 50 ppm or so. A precise level is not needed. You will only lose borates if you drain water from your pool.

Usually we don't recommend borates be added until you have lived with the pool for a year and see how stable your pH is. Many pools don't need borates. Your builder just slammed you with some unnecessary chemicals at this time. With your dog you may want to let the borates drop over time and see if you see any difference before you bring the level back up.

Well, I guess I need to get some borate test strips and see where I'm at, and have some boric acid and/or borax on hand

With just two extra ingredients, Bromothymol Blue pH-indicator and Mannitol sweetener, you can use standard Taylor reagents for a Borates titration. Here is the description:

The test is quite easy, and a lot more accurate than strips.

Thank you for the suggestions/advice.
I'm hoping I don't need it, and I know I got dumped on with chemicals I really don't need, especially when I find out I can us Bleach as liquid chlorine. At least I know where I'm NOT going to buy pool products now!

Thank you for the suggestions/advice.
I'm hoping I don't need it, and I know I got dumped on with chemicals I really don't need, especially when I find out I can us Bleach as liquid chlorine. At least I know where I'm NOT going to buy pool products now!

Borates are not a bad thing, but a bit unusual to dump them in as part of the pool start up. Usually, you'd want to get the pool going without Borates, understand your pool chemistry and get it dialled in where you want it.

If, after some experience with your pool, you realise that your pH keeps drifting up too fast even after reducing TA, and/or the SWG cell keeps scaling up, then you'd start thinking about Borates.

Since you've got them in the water now, but don't know how much, I'd suggest to get a test (I'd recommend the titration add-on to the Taylor tests as described above) to have a good enough value for PoolMath - Borates will have an effect on how much acid is required to adjust pH, and they have an influence on CSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.