CoolHome

Jun 6, 2020
Crawfordsville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I have read the post about winterizing your AG pool: Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool - Trouble Free Pool but still have some questions I was hoping to get some help with so I can get busy getting the supplies I need to be ready to close! I have an 18’ round Coleman Ultra-frame pool that I’m going to keep up for the winter with a 3000 GPH Intex Krystal Clear AG Sand Filter. I live in Indiana, winters are cold and can be snowy.

So, the instructions say to:

Drain water to 6″ below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed.

Only drain below return, what about the intakes, is that is what is meant by “skimmer’? As this is a frame pool I don’t technically have a skimmer, just a jet for the return and two holes that pull in the water below the waterline. can you not drain below intakes and just plug those? I’d definitely prefer not to drain below the intakes if it is possible as that would be over half the water and I’m not sure how secure the frame pool would be with that little water.

A polyquat algaecide may be administered per dosing instructions on product (optional.) Distribute evenly with brush, leaf rake or leaf skimmer.

If this is optional what are the pros/cons of doing it vs not? Or are there some situations where it is recommended?

Secure a large black plastic garbage bag or tarp over larger/sand filters to prevent debris, snow, ice, and water damage.

Do most people keep the sand tank for an AG pool sand filter outside all winter? Mine is largish. DH probably is strong enough to pick it up and get it moved with sand in it if necessary but that still seems really difficult.

What do I need to know about winter covers?

• Any tips for securing them with a frame pool? Stakes?
  • Type suggestions? I was considering one of the kind that allows water to soak through them but I live in the country and so we just have lots of dirt and debris floating around. I’ve been keeping the pool covered recently (but running filter) since it’s become too cool to swim it was getting so dirty. Currently the cover is very filthy looking from the recent harvesting of soybeans behind our property. In my situation would the water just get too dirty over the winter - lots of snow, rain, tree leaf and buds dropping and plowing going on – and that dirt just soak through as well? Or would it not be any worse than the dirt that would get in while trying to remove a solid cover?
  • Air pillows - if doing a solid cover do air pillows actually stay inflated in cold weather? Seems like they wouldn’t to me!

Maintenance - Do you add chlorine over the winter at all? Check at intervals? Check at certain temperatures?

TIA for any help!

I've done a few things when I used to close our pool,
I'll begin by saying that I don't live in the climate you do, so take the following with a grain of salt.

1. I didn't drain the pool at all. I used sections of vacuum hose forced into the intakes and returns as much as possible, and suspended the end above the water line several inches. Pool noodles zip-tied or taped to the vacuum hose will do the job.
2. I used a shop vac to blow the water out of the plumbing. If your plumbing can be drained, that's great, ours is hard plumbed.
3. I drained the equipment. Pump, filter, etc..
4. I covered the pool with a pool cover. I use bleach bottles filled half full of pool water bungeed to the cover holes to keep it in place.

You can use plugs but then you can't blow the plumbing clear of water. They also make blow-through Gizmos, but I'm not sure they'll fit your intake and return fittings. However, if you can remove the plumbing then plugs would work as you won't have to blow the plumbing.

Reactions: CoolHome
Hi. Check out This Thread and this thread also. There's some general stuff about winter covers, and what I did to my Coleman pool

I plugged the two intakes you were referring to, and My pool is drained below the skimmer I added, which consequently puts my water level just below the return. Once you do that, you can unscrew all the Intex hoses from your pump and filter, and store them in the garage or similar place. I have a non Intex sand filter and pump, and I store my pump in my basement and leave the sand filter outside. It's very heavy. I'm just going to place a bag over the filter valve, and secure it with some string around the collar.

You want to remove the drain cap from the sand filter, which will drain all the water from it. If I'm correct your pump can be lifted off the sand filter base, so you can store it inside, once you drain it out. Placed small items like the filter drain plug and the inlet hose clamps inside the pump basket, so you can find them easily when you need them. Any questions, you can let me know, and hopefully others with more experience can answer your chemical questions.

Reactions: CoolHome
Thank you both so much, that was really helpful! And thanks for the extra link bover907, they were really informative. I'm just dying to close this pool and be done with it, but the water probably isn't quite cold enough yet, it was still 69-71 when I checked it last week.

Glad to help. I forgot to mention that when leaving your filter outside, I think there is a neutral position on top of your multi-port valve. It corresponds to the "winter" position on my hayward valve. Leave it in that position. The notch isn't as deep as the other settings, and it's unmarked, iirc.

I have a frame AGP and I just closed it. Here is the link to what we did.

I'm in NW Georgia, so you may want to drain your pool down below your outlet/return at least. Notice we're planning to add chlorine on a weekly basis hoping to keep the water clear for next spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.