Need some advice please

Kevnic

Jun 25, 2023
Schaghticoke NY
I have had my setup for 3 yrs now, Pentair ic40, Pentair 250 heater, pump etc…
Never had a problem till I screwed it all up. Long story short ended up dumping I’m 5 or 6 bags more then I should have and water turned green. IC40 shows green salt, green flow, but status light is blinking green indicating a bad cell. I drained the pool and added fresh water, set the salt at 3600 according to strips and it appears the cell may have taken a dump. I acid washed it with an end cap on it, 1 part muriatic to 4-5 parts water, no sizzling , plates looked clean. Looking for anything I should be doing. I shut off the breakers and did a diagnostic afterwards and cell life is shown to be 60%, fwiw. The pic I provided is the actual unit. Thank you
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpeg
    IMG_2783.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 5
Sadly, if the Cell light is flashing, and the SWCG is not scaled up, it is likely dead.
Show us a picture of the tag on the bottom of the SWCG.

was wondering if oversalting the pool excessively damaged the cell
OK - and yes - it is possible. If the SWCG was on when you added a large amount of salt, a very high salinity slug of water could have gone through the SWCG when it was on. The Pentair IC is pretty good at protecting itself from this, but if the salinity was very high and it hit all at once, it may have caused damage to the electronics.

Thank you
I ordered a new ic40 on Tuesday.
I am very Leary of acid washing it “every 3 months) like it says on the unit. The one and only time I acid washed it was last month after 3 trouble free yrs
Thoughts?
Also should I take the sag and bring it inside during winter months? ( cold northeast winters
Trying to do everything to get more than 3 yrs out of it
And for those that have gotten 5-7 yrs what was your secret?

Have never acid 'washed' my SWCG. Proper chemistry management precludes the need.
In your climate I suspect it would be good to remove and take indoors. Though others in your environment leave them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.