Need some advice on shallow end skimmer flow..

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

I had this same issue last year but it seems to be getting a little worse. My shallow end skimmer is a good distance from the pump it does not draw very well at all unless I cut off the deep drain and it still isn't that great when testing that out. Is this something that can be fixed or is there really nothing I can do based on its the furthest from the pump? I don't want to waste money on a call if they probably can't do anything about it. I blew out the skimmer last year as well it did not help at all.

Thanks for any advice.

Which suction lines are run back to the pad? You do not need much if any water suction from the main drain. So limit that if it helps.

Which suction lines are run back to the pad? You do not need much if any water suction from the main drain. So limit that if it helps.
Thanks your helping a lot today :). Marty is it okay to turn the knob some on the main drain to cut some of that off in the sense could it cause any issues with added pressure. I am talking about the blue turn knobs I have on shallow, main and deep pipes.

Bean,

Sounds normal to me.. I suggest that you run you main drain open only 10% and if you have the ability to adjust the suction on each skimmer, open the far slimmer all the way and shut off the near skimmer a little at at time until the near skimmer and the far skimmer have about the same suction..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bean,

Sounds normal to me.. I suggest that you run you main drain open only 10% and if you have the ability to adjust the suction on each skimmer, open the far slimmer all the way and shut off the near skimmer a little at at time until the near skimmer and the far skimmer have about the same suction..

Thanks,

Jim R.
awesome I will try this. I have been hesitant to leave those knobs turned some thinking it could cause a break or something other than vacuuming etc. Attached pic

Attachments

• 5683282A-6E2D-475B-AED6-2D44CCD2755D.jpeg
    5683282A-6E2D-475B-AED6-2D44CCD2755D.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 7
Bean,

You will end up with less "action" on the near skimmer, but it should still work fine. Don't make up your mind on how it looks, but rather how it works.

The key to great skimming is to have working weir doors.. They are what make a skimmer.... skim..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: beantownace
awesome I will try this. I have been hesitant to leave those knobs turned some thinking it could cause a break or something other than vacuuming etc. Attached pic
That type of valve doesn't like turning. They like to bind and have the handles snap off. Maybe frequent turning will loosen them up a little. I'd give 'em a shot of WD40 or silicon and hope it seeps down in and keeps the shafts from binding. But that is just the shaft. The valve portion itself doesn't care what position it's in.

Reactions: beantownace
Bean,

You will end up with less "action" on the near skimmer, but it should still work fine. Don't make up your mind on how it looks, but rather how it works.

The key to great skimming is to have working weir doors.. The are what make a skimmer.... skim..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I will try cutting off that main drain valve some see if that helps and or try cutting off little by little that deep skimmer see if I can even them out thanks.

Bean,

The key to great skimming is to have working weir doors.. They are what make a skimmer.... skim..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just want to double down on the weir door comment. When I moved in, my weir door on the skimmer was missing. so I ordered a weir door replacement. Just replaced it a couple of weeks ago (after several years of being too lazy) and I was astounded on how much better the skimmer worked. Not to mention it prevents the floating crud from going back into the pool when the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.