Need some advice on fall season alkalinity and best covering practices

DJowers

Aug 26, 2021
Blythewood, SC
This will be my first winter with an above ground pool (15'x48" Intex Easy Set). Our swimming season is over since our water temps have dropped to around 75F (we like mid 80s). However, I plan to continue cleaning, testing, etc daily until temps go lower (I think the recommendation is to wait until water temp is around 60F before "closing" for the winter, correct??). I cover it every night and lately, since we are not swimming, sometimes only uncover from about 11:00am until 5:00pm or even not at all if it's rainy weather. Also, I usually run the filter pump while it's uncovered. I have two questions:

1) My TA levels have always tested on the upper end of the recommendations, but it seems they have gotten higher. I tested today with the TF-100 kit and my results are below. Everything seems in line EXCEPT alkalinity. The water is clear and I have not noticed any issues with pH being unstable. Actually, over the last month or two the pH has consistently been between 7.4-7.6. Of course, the recommendation based on my TA level is to add dry acid and aerate. My question is, at this point in the season, is it worth adding the acid to get TA down before closing for winter? Or, let it ride since everything else seems to be in line? If I understand the purpose of TA (and that's a big if...newbie here), it's mainly to keep help keep pH stable, right? So, if my pH has been fairly stable, should I start messing with things now?
FC = 5.5ppm
CC = .5ppm
TA = 180
CYA = 40
pH = 7.6

2) Second question is regarding covering...we have LOTS of deciduous trees all around us that will soon be dropping leaves like crazy (some have already started). Since we aren't swimming, I had planned on keeping the cover on pretty much all the time, except for testing. I can also still run the pump even with the cover on. Will keeping the pool covered more, especially during the day, potentially cause more bothersome issues (since water temp is still in the 70s)? Or, is it better to continue doing what I've been doing and just factor in some extra skimmer net time to stay on top of the leaves before covering each night?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/recommendations!

Last edited:
If you don’t have a SWG then don’t worry about your TA. Just keep your pH in the 7s.

You can keep the cover on your pool most of the time. But every other day or so let your pool breath for a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.