LauraHardesty

Jun 29, 2021
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First let me start by saying i am a new pool owner here :) have a new 14 X 42 Intex Ultra XTR Frame pool (3,357 gal) that came with the 1000 GPH cartridge filter pump. It's doing OK right now 3 weeks in, but i am already over these cartridge filters and want to upgrade. I need a vaccuum as well. I've been researching and watching you tube videos, but i see alot of overkill on pump upgrades and these folks have water shooting up and out of the return to the other end of their pool, and i do not want that. The hoses that came with my pool are 1.25" so i already know i'm going to have to buy adapters for whatever pump i end up with. Naturally, i think the next step up would be the Intex 10" 1200gph sand filter pump, but i'm reading some reviews stating that it's not powerful enough to run a vacuum with. The next one up would be the 12" 2800 gph, but i'm wondering if that would be overkill? and at that point do i have to switch to bigger hoses? I really don't want to cut my liner.. Also i am open to other brands besides Intex. Any advice/opinions appreciated!

Intex pumps are very weak pumps so if you want to go that route, I would get the largest possible. The largest one I think will deliver only about 40 GPM on a typical AG pool.

Ill take a stab at this as i was in the same situation this year.

We bought our first pool this year, 18’ x 48” intex. Came with cheap low powered cartridge filter. When we filled with well water we had an orange iron swamp. Found a used 10” intex 1200 sand filter and used both filters to clean the iron out. The 10” sand filter did its job, i had to run it for at least 8 hours a day to get 1 full turn along with fairly regular backwashing. Vacuuming wasnt great with it. Barely enough power to pick up sand with manual hand vacuum, had to make sure i backwashed right before vacuuming so i had full power. I thought about upgrading to a different brand and doing adapters n such but In the interest of time and frustration we stayed with the intex plug n play and upgraded to the largest intex sand filter offered, 16”, 3000 gph. I know there are better filters/pumps but we Love it, perfect for our pool. Yes it moves the water much more out of the return but doesnt spray water (as long as pool is filled above return). This upgrade also allowed us to get the intex pressure pool cleaner that even cleans the walls, no need to hand vacuum. I only have to run it about 3 hours for a full turn. I cant speak to the 1.25” lines as my pool has 1.5”. Call intex with questions. Might have a hard time with availability, i ended up paying “covid pricing” but it was worth it.

Reactions: Newdude
Ill take a stab at this as i was in the same situation this year.

We bought our first pool this year, 18’ x 48” intex. Came with cheap low powered cartridge filter. When we filled with well water we had an orange iron swamp. Found a used 10” intex 1200 sand filter and used both filters to clean the iron out. The 10” sand filter did its job, i had to run it for at least 8 hours a day to get 1 full turn along with fairly regular backwashing. Vacuuming wasnt great with it. Barely enough power to pick up sand with manual hand vacuum, had to make sure i backwashed right before vacuuming so i had full power. I thought about upgrading to a different brand and doing adapters n such but In the interest of time and frustration we stayed with the intex plug n play and upgraded to the largest intex sand filter offered, 16”, 3000 gph. I know there are better filters/pumps but we Love it, perfect for our pool. Yes it moves the water much more out of the return but doesnt spray water (as long as pool is filled above return). This upgrade also allowed us to get the intex pressure pool cleaner that even cleans the walls, no need to hand vacuum. I only have to run it about 3 hours for a full turn. I cant speak to the 1.25” lines as my pool has 1.5”. Call intex with questions. Might have a hard time with availability, i ended up paying “covid pricing” but it was worth it.
Thank you, that info actually helps alot! Amazon actually has quite a few pumps in stock, but of course Covid priced. i may wait until the prices start falling here in the next couple of months, but i think i'll go with a 12" or so.

When it comes to filtration bigger is always better. I ran my Intex for the first season and enjoyed it while laying out plans for an upgrade. If you are considering going outside the box with another brand, you might as well upgrade your plumbing too. My signature is my current setup... If you have any questions feel free to ask...

Reactions: LauraHardesty
When it comes to filtration bigger is always better. I ran my Intex for the first season and enjoyed it while laying out plans for an upgrade. If you are considering going outside the box with another brand, you might as well upgrade your plumbing too. My signature is my current setup... If you have any questions feel free to ask...
Thank you. I bought this pump at a really reasonable price on Amazon today. This pump had the best reviews of all the smaller pumps, and apparently the company has fantastic customer service, so hopefully this will work out well. I'm going to try it without upgrading hoses first and see what happens. If it's not great I will replace.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210720-203733.png
    Screenshot_20210720-203733.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210720-203624.png
    Screenshot_20210720-203624.png
    24 KB · Views: 18
Thank you. I bought this pump at a really reasonable price on Amazon today. This pump had the best reviews of all the smaller pumps, and apparently the company has fantastic customer service, so hopefully this will work out well. I'm going to try it without upgrading hoses first and see what happens. If it's not great I will replace.

The issue you will have using the Intex hoses is the industry standard is 1.5 inch connections. Intex is metric (40mm). You will need to make adapters. If you are still using the Intex intake and returns then this will help you:

When I did this I used the bushing shown below instead of cutting a coupler.

The issue you will have using the Intex hoses is the industry standard is 1.5 inch connections. Intex is metric (40mm). You will need to make adapters. If you are still using the Intex intake and returns then this will help you:

When I did this I used the bushing shown below instead of cutting a coupler.

Awesome, Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my opinion for a pool that size the Intex sand filter setups are more than enough.
I'd buy their skimmer as well.

Not only would I not waste time with PVC on an Intex, I'm not planning to do it on my steel wall pool either.
Corrugated hoses work more than good enough for such a short distance.

EDIT : I just checked Amazon and I have no idea when those tiny little pump and filter setups became $300-500, but I thought it was a really good deal at $130 a few years ago. Their middle of the line setup (I think 1600gph?) was really decent for smaller pools.

In my opinion for a pool that size the Intex sand filter setups are more than enough.
I'd buy their skimmer as well.

Not only would I not waste time with PVC on an Intex, I'm not planning to do it on my steel wall pool either.
Corrugated hoses work more than good enough for such a short distance.

EDIT : I just checked Amazon and I have no idea when those tiny little pump and filter setups became $300-500, but I thought it was a really good deal at $130 a few years ago. Their middle of the line setup (I think 1600gph?) was really decent for smaller pools.
That's pretty much how i feel about it too. I already got the skimmer, and the new sand filter pump i bought will take the 1 1/4" hoses i already have, and a reviewer with the same size pool i have said its more than enough power/suction/flow etc.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the tips and suggestions, I got my new sand filter pump installed and running great today, and it turned out absolutely perfect! For those who were concerned about needing to upgrade my hoses to 1.5", I did not have to after all. This pump built for 1.25" or 1.5" hoses. The difference is amazing, so glad I it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_133323058.jpg
    IMG_20210801_133323058.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.