Need opinions on what to do please

If there's a way to remove the minerals from it you'll need to do that since they can leak in. If it were me I'd do a complete drain preferably with the exchange process. There isn't a readily available test for silver but it's known to cause black stains and other problems. I would do a complete drain and monitor your CYA level as an indicator of how long to run the exchange or how many times to do the 18" drain. Then start with a complete TFP liquid chlorine based system. TFP methods do not work combined methods with other systems.

I wish I had a less onerous recommendation for you but there's nothing else I can recommend after 4 years of mineral system method.

Chris

So I’ve had some life events that have delayed my progress but now I’m back at it. I did a partial drain. I realize I need to do another but here are the current numbers.
Fc 5.2
ph 7.6
Ta 110
Ch 160
Cya 90

Now with switching over to liquid chlorine what is the general process? Do you need to test FC everyday then add the appropriate chlorine? I realize every pool is different but just trying to get an idea of what’s involved switching to liquid. Thanks

Test your pool daily until you learn it's appetite for chlorine -- for example, mine uses 3 cups of chlorine on bright, sunny days and 2 cups on cloudy overcast days. I test every third day now, some people have it so dialed in they test once a week. That's after testing daily until you learn your pool. It only takes a couple of weeks to a month until you see the pattern.

First off, let me admit to an embarrassing fact: I have a PhD in chemistry and screwed up my pool by listening to a pool store and my pool builder. I thought they were experts and knew what they were doing so I just didn’t pay attention to the chemistry. (Too many other things to worry about.). It wasn’t until I read up on the relationship between CYA/chlorine and alkalinity/pH that I actually understood what was happening. (In my defense, I was an organic chemist...)

The bottom line Is that the “TFP way” is actually easier and cheaper than what the pool store advises and keeps your pool pristine.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
I have quit using the chlorine tabs and weekly smart shock. My FC level is 10 which the calculator says it should be with a cya of 90. Now that I’m using liquid chlorine will the cya eventually come down with evaporation and adding fresh water?

I have quit using the chlorine tabs and weekly smart shock. My FC level is 10 which the calculator says it should be with a cya of 90. Now that I’m using liquid chlorine will the cya eventually come down with evaporation and adding fresh water?

CYA does not come down from water replacement due to evaporation.

CYA is lost from splashout, draining, or degradation when water temperature is over 90F.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.