Need new pump - Intelliflo right for me?

May 22, 2017
The South
I need a new pump.

My pool is 18k gallons. Two skimmers, 1 main drain. 3 1.5 suction lines running to the pad. Two 1.5 return lines running back to the pool. I plan on adding a water feature in the future. Pentair clean and clear 200 cartridge filter.

What I'm looking at doing is replacing my PVC valves on each suction line with Neverlube valves. I'll go 1.5in into the valve, and then 2in out right into 90/T so the manifold between the suction lines and the new pump is 2in. Then install a new Intelliflo VS pump. On the pump output I'll replumb 2" to the filter inlet. I'll leave everything on the filter output 1.5in for now, then upsize it to 3in when I add a 3rd 1.5 return line and three way valve to my water feature.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan and a good fit for the intelliflo? I looked at the sureflo as well, but I'm interested in the low cost Intelliconnect automation that works with the intelliflo.

The IntelliFlo will work fine. I think you will find the VSF 011056 at a better price then the VS 011028 pump. They are the same except for the flow feature that you can ignore if you want to.

Page 2 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...iflo-vs/intelliflo-vs-pump-manual-english.pdf says:

it is recommended that a valve, elbow or tee installed in the suction line should be no closer to the front of the pump than five (5) times the suction line pipe diameter. See Figure 2. Example: A 2 inch pipe requires a 10 inch (254 mm) straight run in front of the suction inlet of the pump). This will help the pump prime faster and last longer.Note: DO NOT install 90° elbows directly into the pump inlet or outlet.

You should use unions which the pump does not come with...

T,

There is no reason for a 3" line.. You normally buy an IntelliFlo to run at a low RPM, so pipe size is not a big issue.. You can crank it up when you use the water feature. I would suggest that you have a Jandy valve to turn the water feature on or off..

Keep in mind the IntelliConnect does not have any valve control circuits..

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

There is no reason for a 3" line.. You normally buy an IntelliFlo to run at a low RPM, so pipe size is not a big issue.. You can crank it up when you use the water feature. I would suggest that you have a Jandy valve to turn the water feature on or off..

Keep in mind the IntelliConnect does not have any valve control circuits..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Looking at the Intelliconnect I think I can use one of the relays to fire a the coil of a separate SPDT relay for 24v a 24V valve actuator. I would have the standard operation direction of the valve (water feature off) hooked up to the normally closed terminal, and the water feature on direction hooked up to the normally open terminal. So when I activate the Intelliconnect relay it will pass 120v across to coil of my relay connecting 24v to the normally open terminal and turning the water feature on.

Do you have the Intelliconnect? Trying to figure out how much scheduling flexibility you have for Intelliflow Pump and "Non flow dependent Device" on the relay.

Edit - I meant upsize to 2in when I add the water feature line.

The IntelliFlo will work fine. I think you will find the VSF 011056 at a better price then the VS 011028 pump. They are the same except for the flow feature that you can ignore if you want to.

Page 2 in https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...iflo-vs/intelliflo-vs-pump-manual-english.pdf says:

it is recommended that a valve, elbow or tee installed in the suction line should be no closer to the front of the pump than five (5) times the suction line pipe diameter. See Figure 2. Example: A 2 inch pipe requires a 10 inch (254 mm) straight run in front of the suction inlet of the pump). This will help the pump prime faster and last longer.Note: DO NOT install 90° elbows directly into the pump inlet or outlet.

You should use unions which the pump does not come with...

Is the warranty situation 60 days with either model unless it is installed by a Pentair dealer? I'm looking to DIY. I'll get a quote with install from a local dealer to make sure, but I'm generally able to DIY much cheaper.

Is the warranty situation 60 days with either model unless it is installed by a Pentair dealer? I'm looking to DIY. I'll get a quote with install from a local dealer to make sure, but I'm generally able to DIY much cheaper.

Yes, I believe so. The drives on VS pumps are sensitive and expensive to replace so a warranty may be worth more then on a SS pump.

Install a good surge suppressor on your electrical panel to protect the drive.

Last edited:
T,

Check out this thread.. IntelliConnect Valve Actuator

I self installed two IntelliFlo pumps, two EasyTouch systems with IC40 salt cells, on a couple of rent house pool... Other than the salt cells going bad after more than 6 years, nothing else failed..

The equipment at my house was installed with the pool by my pool builder, and even though I took a lightning strike that took out the main board in my EasyTouch and other stuff, it had no effect on the pump. So I am not sure how "sensitive" they really are.. Maybe I was just lucky.

To get a warranty you end up spending about twice as much.. Which means if the pump did go bad, you could just about buy another pump for the price of the warranty. When, or if, I have to replace anything in the future, it will be a DIY project.

I bought my last salt cell from these guys and really like them.. Welcome to Polytec Pools

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

Check out this thread.. IntelliConnect Valve Actuator

I self installed two IntelliFlo pumps, two EasyTouch systems with IC40 salt cells, on a couple of rent house pool... Other than the salt cells going bad after more than 6 years, nothing else failed..

The equipment at my house was installed with the pool by my pool builder, and even though I took a lightning strike that took out the main board in my EasyTouch and other stuff, it had no effect on the pump. So I am not sure how "sensitive" they really are.. Maybe I was just lucky.

To get a warranty you end up spending about twice as much.. Which means if the pump did go bad, you could just about buy another pump for the price of the warranty. When, or if, I have to replace anything in the future, it will be a DIY project.

I bought my last salt cell from these guys and really like them.. Welcome to Polytec Pools

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, that diagram is exactly what I was going to do with a SPDT relay.

I was going to do Pool Supply Unlimited, but Polytec looks about the same price.

Reading the manual for the IntelliConnect it looks like I could set my relay to "Flow Dependent" and set a minimum RPM. What I'm trying to figure out is if I set a schedule for Relay 1 with a min RPM of say 2100 is it going to call the intelliflo for 2100 at the scheduled time, or wait until the intelliflo is at 2100 during the scheduled window to activate the relay? Working out how a water feature schedule would work.

T,

I do not have a clue as to how the IntelliConnect works.. But the EasyTouch is set up so that when you turn on a circuit that needs both a pump speed and a valve movement, they both happen at the same time.. As an example.. If I turn on my waterfall circuit, but pushing an icon on my PC screen, the valve will start to turn almost immediately and the pump is told to increase speed. The volume of water coming out of the waterfall will slowly increase as the pump speed increases.. Takes about a minute or so. The IntelliFlo slowly ramps up or down between speeds..

I assume the IntelliConnect works the same basic way..

I see zero reasons to use the "Flow Dependent" action. Just assign Aux 1 or 2 a name like Water Feature and assign a speed to that name. Flow Dependent action should be used to power your SWCG that you absolutely do not want on when there is no flow. I suspect that the IntelliConnect manual tells you how to connect a SWCG... You should never rely on just the SWCG's flow switch..

Keep in mind the IntelliFlo will always run the fastest speed it is told to run.. So, if you are normally running at say 1200 RPM and then also tell it to run 2000 RPM, the pump will increase in speed to 2000.. On the other hand, if you tell the pump to run 2000 and then also tell it to run 1200 RPM, it will continue to run at 2000.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.