Flint, mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I looked on Amazon and saw a bunch, mostly being sold by well known pop-up entities that also specialize in crocheted welcome mats...

I have a dummy cell coming for my SWG, but the existing threaded/rubber plugs and the skimmer 'gizmo' are pretty manky, so time to replace :)
All my returns/inlets are 1 1/2" threaded, so are the Threaded plugs preferred, or the rubber-wingnut types, or the duck valves ?
Thinking a new 'Gizmo' for the skimmer too...

I usually have my local pool store do the blowout and manhandle the cover etc, and I haven't had any issues, but last year we had so much rain I had to pump the pool out twice, so it was well over the returns well before the freezing weather was done, so I want to be certain I'm not risking any leakage etc, as digging up all that concrete would be a nightmare...

20230525_131956.jpg

Thanks !!

Threaded plugs preferred, or the rubber-wingnut types, or the duck valves ?
Use threaded plugs or bungee plugs (blow through / self sealing) for the returns. Rubber plugs are fine if you have any openings at the pad. For example, I use them instead if a dummy cell. (I also throw a zip lock bag over it and tape the bejezus out of it because in my dogs defense, its a Kong toy, and who doesnt love finding free toys ?)

I bought a cheap pack of threaded plugs off Amazon last year and there was a clear difference in quality. I'll be buying Hayward plugs this year. I should have never cheaped out on $10. I knew better but I know you know the struggle. Lol.

I used a duck plug when we moved and the ice grabbed and ripped the chintzy cap off, leaving the flimsy rubber duck beak exposed. It fared ok in the end but I no longer trust them.

So long as the gizzmo holds air when you squeeze it, it's fine even if it's weathered. It's also cheap to replace every few years just because.

Reactions: SJPoe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.