Need inputs on Geometric pool design in Katy,TX

K,

I love SWCG (saltwater) pools, but anyone that installs a saltwater pool and uses single speed pumps is living in the 60's..

If you loved your old black rotary dial party line phone then you will love the in floor cleaning system, another item from the 60's.

I like the large cartridge filter..

Make sure the salt system is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. This is because salt system are rated when running 24/7 at 100% output..

You will need to post some pics showing the design...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Man I live down here in Sugar Land and in my opinion that price is REDICULOUS. Big time. That Wet Edge needs to be Level 4 Primera Stone no question. No coping? No decking? I’d highly recommend getting at least two more quotes. I know PB are busy but that price is STEEP.

Austin is generally substantially more expensive than houston. I just built a pool with similar dimensions and hayward equipment with a concrete deck about 6 ft off the ground and 2x4 lueders pavers for about 85K. You can see my build thread in my signature.

I went with the lower model automation because I dont need wifi control and quartz, but I think your estimate is high.

Make sure you specify water depth not depth of the pool. Also a shallow area of 3.5' is too shallow to swim, so our shallow is 4'.

Welcome neighbor. You will find TFP a great resource during quote review, construction and longterm maintenance of your new pool
Effective July 2021 all pumps for filtration (the pool pump) need to be variable speed so maybe builder trying to get rid of his inventory. Demand a VS pump for the main pool pump.
The infloor cleaning system can be a highly debated item. Some love it and some do not. You need to research this and feel comfortable it meets your needs.
I have Wet Edge Primera Stone (the smooth pebble finish) and love it.
See the attached that shows all of Wet Edge Products.
Wet Edge Technologies – various types of plaster – overview of all products

Suggest you read the following to help guide you on new pool selection and construction
How to Pick a Pool Builder

How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool

How to Select Pool Equipment

How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Construction Tips & Best Practices

Construction Best Practices - Further Reading

Thankyou all for the feedback. Looks like I need to read up more. I could not post the design pics as the contractor refused to share any pics before signing. What is the general take on Hayward equipment? Will keep you posted.

What is the general take on Hayward equipment?
Jandy, Hayward and Pentair are the 3 big brands in pool equipment. Some PB's only support 1 mfg. and some may support multiple. Some of the equipment can be interchangeable such as a filter because it has no electrical or smart features to it. It is generally recommended to match an automation system with the Variable speed pump and the Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) from the same mfg. but some pumps work with other automation systems. Also, sometimes a mfg. will offer extended warranty if you purchase 3 or more of their major products. So you just need to review it all and you will get feedback from the community when you get multiple bids with different equipment mfg.

I could not post the design pics as the contractor refused to share any pics before signing.
That is really strange. If you look at other construction threads that seems to have never been an issue. You may want to hand draw what you are thinking so it gives some perspective to the community. Also, more reason why you should have 3-4 bids because every PB is different and how they treat you as a potential client says a lot how they treat you when they have your money.
Speaking of money, you need to be prepared to negotiate to have 5-10% of the final price not payable until all work is done and the punch list is completed. Many PB's in this time of high demand are asking for final payments when about 85-90% of the work is done. Several on this forum have had to press hard to have things completed because they had no leverage of a final payment being held to the end.

So here in Sugar Land I’d rather saw my arm off than NOT have an SWG. You will hate life lugging liquid chlorine EVERY single day from May-November. If you’ve read thru this site you’ll know the reasons for not using Trichlor/Dichlor. Using these will make this your second full time job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great design.
  1. Since your spillover from the spa to pool is a very large "L" shape, you must ensure that they make that level during construction.
  2. PB states that Main Drains and Skimmers are plumbed separately to equipment pad. For clarity, ask the PB that each skimmer is plumbed back to the equipment pad individually as well. Sometimes the PB put the skimmers on a single serial hookup but you want separate pipe runs back to the pad in addition to the main drain and spa drain being separately run back to the pad.
  3. Great that you have channel main drains - so much nicer. Also, the reason for 2 channel drains in pool is one is suction for your water feature pump and other is suction for your main circulation pump.
  4. Great that you will have a separate pump for the water features. This allows you to run your water features when in Spa Mode.
  5. Drop the inline chlorinator and go with a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) - it would be so much better starting out fresh - since you have Jandy equipment - suggest the AquaPure PLC1400 which is rated for 40,000 gals - this way you do not have to run it at 100%
  6. You may want to ask what Aqualink Automation system you are getting. There are base models and some with more expansion capability.
  7. Pool cleaners can be very subjective. The Polaris 280 requires a separate booster pump (in addition to the 2 VS pumps already stated). Many prefer a robot (runs off of an electrical cord). Suggest you do some more research as there are many pros and cons. I have a Polaris 280 which I inherited with the house/pool and it has worked for past 12 years but if it ever breaks I will most likely move to a electric robot and do away with that extra pump.
  8. You may wish to checkout the colors and type of pebbletec for Level 1. This becomes a major point on the final look and feel of the pool.

Hi All - I received another quote from contractor. Appreciate your thoughts/feedback. Its about a 6ft depth pool. I've attached specs (pdf), plan & pictures.

View attachment 327993

View attachment 327994

View attachment 327995

View attachment 327996

View attachment 327997

View attachment 327998
This is a GREAT design. Someone in another construction had the cascading waterfall from the spa and it really looked nice in the final pictures. I also like how they did your steps in the pool and having that small step-in step for the spa is also really nice. Design wise, you have plenty of space for swimming, floating, kids play, etc.

With regard to the pool equipment being proposed, it appears to be all Hayward.
As with the other offer, drop the inline chlorinator and UV system and request a SWCG. So much better for the long-term.

This PB states you will have 11 in-floor returns which indicates it is a in-floor cleaning system. The 11 returns will be separated into groups so each group is controlled by the in-floor controller. You can search the forum and see there are many pros and cons to this. If you wish to have it, then also ensure they put in some standard wall returns to the pool and have a bypass on the in-floor cleaning system. You always want to be able to circulate and if you have an issue with the in-floor system then you want to bypass it to continue to circulate. Same reason you have 2 skimmers and a main drain - there is always some way to have suction.

It is good that you have a separate pump for the water features. That way those can be controlled regardless of which mode you are in - Pool or Spa.
I also see they will put in a heater bypass. That is good as well - it is just plumbing but best to do it on the original set up.
Also request that the skimmers have independent lines run back to the equipment pad.
You may want to request the pad to be extra large (if you have the space) so you can space out the equipment for easier maintenance and also put a light over your equipment pad.

Just came across your thread. What part of Katy are you in? I’m also in Katy, south of 10 and east of 99. Have you signed with your builder as yet? Before you sign, definitely ask how many builds are ahead of you and if they all their workers are in house or if each job is subbed out. That can add a lot of time to your build. Also if they can dig soon, then how long before they can get gunite or shotcrete in. With all the rain that has been falling, you wouldn’t want a dirt hole in your yard with cave ins with every rain fall. Prices have definitely gone up from last year. All the best with your build. I’m finishing up a build in Katy myself.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.