GREAT JOB!

I can see improvement.

With CYA of 50, get your FC up to 20 and keep it there during SLAM.

Can't wait to see the end. You will be proud peacock!

Also, you don't have to test anything but FC during slam. Save the reagents. pH is inaccurate test at anything above 10.

You also don't care about the others at this point...now that you know CYA. And you don't have to test CYA again until after slam, and then only weekly. It degrades very slowly.

You Go!
Got it!
I’m on my last bottle of chlorine so I’m sending him out for more today. I’m debating on that or bleach. I buy the great value brand for laundry but for the life of me, I can’t find any percentage on the bottle. Any idea? It’s $16 at pool store for 4 bottles, but they were the earlier this wk when I was getting vac head. I just need to let him know what brand to buy of bleach if they are out. Wasn’t sure on dollar tree bleach as well.

Got it!
I’m on my last bottle of chlorine so I’m sending him out for more today. I’m debating on that or bleach. I buy the great value brand for laundry but for the life of me, I can’t find any percentage on the bottle. Any idea? It’s $16 at pool store for 4 bottles, but they were the earlier this wk when I was getting vac head. I just need to let him know what brand to buy of bleach if they are out. Wasn’t sure on dollar tree bleach as well.
Nevermind on this, found my answer! I’m going to stick with chlorine as long as they have it.

Yes I am. I will see if they have any in stock but last time I checked, they were out. That’s what we were buying.
It says they have in stock! Works out since he is going to buy something to make it easier for me to vacuum on my own. Found a video of a piece to buy to hook up and put the vac hose in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I should continue to check FC throughout the day correct? With it that high, is it safe to get in the pool
Always check as often as you can up to 2 hours apart. You won’t be the first person to wake up several times a night, and you won’t be the first person to sleep 8+ hours and wake up refreshed and ready to go at it tomorrow. :)

Being in the pool is safe up to SLAM lever for any CYA level. You can play around with it here. FC/CYA Levels. But……

a HUGE but. You need to see the bottom of the pool. As in, somebody needs to know you are down there (and *exactly* where) if something happens to you. It’s a swimmer / pool cleaner saftey thing and not a chemistry thing.

Okay!
One thing I’m confused on...when I was doing a slam at 12, then passed the overnight test, but now I’m slamming again at 20. Is this because it hasn’t cleared up completely?

So the next time I check cya, it should be more clear are completely clear?
Your CYA will change very slowly. Right now you don’t need to test it anymore during slam.

keep FC at 20. Check every 2 hours and add chlorine as necessary to keep at 20. You can do OCLT every night if you want.

all you are waiting for is pool to be clear including sides (no slime/algae).

then you can test CC.

when you meet all three criteria you are done!

many continue salm 1 more day after meeting 3 criteria just for insurance!

Reactions: Charity1981
+1 on @PoolStored only check FC right now until the pool is clear.

One thing I’m confused on...when I was doing a slam at 12, then passed the overnight test,
You may have passes the OCLT but that doesn't mean the slam is over. There are three criteria that must be met. Listed above in post 213.
but now I’m slamming again at 20.
Not slamming again at 20 but increasing FC to 20 during your slam.

How did hooking up two pumps work out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Charity1981
Your CYA will change very slowly. Right now you don’t need to test it anymore during slam.

keep FC at 20. Check every 2 hours and add chlorine as necessary to keep at 20. You can do OCLT every night if you want.

all you are waiting for is pool to be clear including sides (no slime/algae).

then you can test CC.

when you meet all three criteria you are done!

many continue salm 1 more day after meeting 3 criteria just for insurance!
One other question, should I leave chlorine tablet floater out of the pool? I removed it awhile back.

+1 on @PoolStored only check FC right now until the pool is clear.

You may have passes the OCLT but that doesn't mean the slam is over. There are three criteria that must be met. Listed above in post 215.

Not slamming again at 20 but increasing FC to 20 during your slam.

How did hooking up two pumps work out?
Both are hooked up!

One other question, should I leave chlorine tablet floater out of the pool? I removed it awhile back.
Yes! You will never use pucks again!

You will just use chlorine daily after your testing to maintain FC.

Pucks add CYA! Higher CYA requires higher levels of FC.

CYA of 50 is perfect. You don't want or need more.

I was on pucks, got very high CYA and I didn't keep up with Chlorine...that's what led to my algae.

The only way to get rid of CYA is to drain and refill. Not something you or I want to do.

Some people keep them and the floater around for when they go on vacation and don't have another option.

So here’s where I’m at today! Feels like I’m heading backwards. Yesterday, I used the catfish to vac about 1/3 of pool. It was going great, I could clearly see the bottom. Then it needed charged. So I charged and cleaned the bag out and noticed it had quite a bit of sand. So a couple hrs later I went out and finished the rest, hooking the vac to the filter this time. Started off fine but started getting cloudy. I finished, brushed walls etc...and maintained chlorine the rest of the day. Last night, we sprayed out the filter which had ALOT of gunk and green (first time we’ve had that much)
This morn, went out for test and of course everything had settled but it looked slightly darker. So I used catfish again and can see the bottom fairly good. Went to charge and once again, quite a bit of sand and darker yellow this time. Attached pic of bag this morn. I’ve had very small amounts of sand in the past, but this is a lot more.

Attachments

• 444A0D31-4E06-46E2-BFAF-60C96E524C0E.jpeg
    444A0D31-4E06-46E2-BFAF-60C96E524C0E.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 21
  • F0AE2AB9-0181-402B-B4EE-F35E4459ECE3.jpeg
    F0AE2AB9-0181-402B-B4EE-F35E4459ECE3.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.