Need help

Stephen882

Jun 8, 2018
empire
Opened my pool later this year than normal. Somewhere around 1st of June. Pool cover had holes in it which allowed debris in pool. Had algae on bottom. Cleaned bottom of debris and algae on waste . Put enough chlorine in pool to slam it at night. Next morning it had 11ppm chlorine. Checked it when I got home from work and it was 0. So lost 11 ppm during the day. Chlorine is getting harder to get right now. So decided to add hth super algae guard. Did initial dose 3 days in a row. So algae should be dead. Pool is crystal clear. Everytime I add chlorine it is gone in no time. Ph is 7.2 and alkalinity is 50. I know it needs to be raised up. I’ve never had this problem before. Actually it’s the 1st problem I’ve had since going to BBB. Heard of chlorine lock but don’t know much about it. Stabilizer is low also.

The algaecide you added is ammonium based. That will create a massive chlorine demand until it's been completely destroyed. You also almost certainly still have algae, ultra cheap algaecides like that don't kill algae very well.

To be completely straight: it's going to take more chlorine now to fix this problem than it would have before.

Checked chlorine today at 2:15pm and it was 0. To slam the pool it said to add 3 1/2 gallons so I added 4 since the pool is slap full of water because of the rain. Added the 4 gallons at 2:26. So now 9 hrs later the chlorine level is 4.5

chlorine-4.5
Combine chlorine-0
Ph-7
Alkalinity-45
So what would be the best thing to do next.

To be honest I haven’t checked it this year yet. I know it’s going to be real low. Was waiting till I got the pool chemistry close to being right since we kept vacuuming on waste and refilling up to get the debris and algae out.

You need to know the CYA to properly follow the SLAM Process. Basically you test several times a day and each time add enough liquid chlorine to take you back to SLAM level. But first you need to have 30ppm CYA minimum or you’ll just lose too much chlorine to the sun for it to be effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.