Need help with selecting new SWG and VS pump

gigaoranges

Jul 29, 2022
los angeles
Hi All,

I'm attempting to purchase a new VS pump and SWG. Current set up is just me following TFP guide of dumping liquid chlorine, pH, and maintaining CYA (which unfortunately, previous owners only used pucks, so I got some insane levels using the taylor kit vs leslie pools, which brings up another question. Using the taylor kit 2005-C, I cant even see the black dot at all meaning its over 150+ however at leslies, they tested it to be 90. What is up with that? I tested with just tap water and I did not see any CYA so the kit is definitely working.)

I'm wondering if this pump will work on my 23000-28000 gallon sized pool. Sta-Rite SuperMax VS Variable Speed Pump, 2.2 THP
I'm also wondering what I would need for the pentair IC40 salt water generator. It looks like everywhere just sells the salt cell and I think I need the power supply too as well as a yellow clock timer?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Giga... welcome :)
FIrst off, your test kit is far more trusted than anything Leslie's says. Trust it. Try this test- take equal parts pool water and tap water. Mix these well and then repeat the CYA test using this mixed water for your pool water portion of the test. Lastly you double the test results.
I imagine you're so high that some draining and refilling will be necessary.
Aim to get it down to 70-80ppm of CYA since you;re going salt.

Next point is that your test kit is missing the most important test- the FAS-DPD test for high FC and CC.. Add this and your kit will be equal to the K-2006 --> FAS/DPD Chlorine Test Kit

As to getting a VS and SWG... do you have or desire automation? If so you'll want all to be same brand so that they talk to each other.

I'd suggest Pentair's larger pump and a larger SWG than you list. We *always* want a SWG that is at least 2X the pool volume.
Here is a good site that shows comparison output and brands --> Saltwater Swimming Pool Systems & Supplies | Discount Salt Pool

The biggest problem folks are having is finding stock- things just seem to be stalled somewhere in the supply chain.... look around.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you Maddie!! Thank you for that website as well. I'm taking advantage of that website's upgrade promotion and just bought the circulpool RJ60, and the circulpool 3HP pump. I think that should cover my 25000ish gallon sized pool well enough. I reread my Taylor kit and it is actually the 2006-C version! Great tip on the CYA dilution. I will try that later today and get back to you.. im very curious to see how high it is.

• Love
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I tested the CYA using your method. It was still unreadable so even after dilution 50/50 pool/water, it was still over 100!! WOW! I'm going to continue to dump liquid chlorine for the sanitation and then drain my pool partially after I get the pool pump and SWG installed. Thanks again.

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.