Need help with old pool

Jun 25, 2011
Well, I am officially at a loss. I bought a house (family owned) about 7 years ago, that had a very old (1988 install) doughboy above ground pool.

The pool is above ground style with a vinyl liner, but actually is built in ground with an expanded liner giving it an 8 foot deep end, and a 3 foot shallow end. Pool is in my signature below.

Regardless the dirt around the pool was caving in when I got it, badly. Also it was starting to rust on the wall by the skimmer basket. I tried for the last few years to keep it up, reinforce the rusted walls, but the rust has gotten the best two of the panels. I can't even winterize my pool this year, it is in too poor of shape. The wall is caved in around the skimmer basket. The rest of the pool seems to be in great shape except these two panels.

I'm really at a loss what to do. I would hate to spend the money to demo the entire pool, just to have another one put in. Is it possible just to have the two walls replaced and new liner put in? Is that something contractors do or a normal thing to do? I understand it is common to just demo pools and put new ones in but honest I just can't afford that and I'm looking to see if there is even any alternatives. I cannot afford to demo and put in a new one, I can afford to demo and fill in the hole which I would prefer not to do.

Any advice would be beyond appreciated!

You can try to use generic replacement stainless panels but it will have to be drained & the liner replaced. I suspect when you pull that liner you will see much more rust especially on the buried areas. Usually what you see on the outside is just the tip of the iceberg.
If you’re handy the demo isn’t a big deal & you can sell the metal for scrap to recoup a little $.
The hole is already there which is a huge part of the budget. You really won’t know your options until you remove the liner & get a peek of the inside of the walls

Reactions: phonedave
How bout some pics ? :epds:

I understand wanting to maximize your expenses. I do. But I wouldn't throw much new money at a 34 year old above ground pool. Being a quality brand is the sole reason it made it this long, but it's incredible lifespan is likely up. :confused:

Reactions: Mdragger88
What @Mdragger88 said.

If you have two sections that are 80% gone, you likely have a bunch of other sections that are 50% gone that you cannot see the damage on.

You will have to pull the liner and get a new one.

You can get a new section of pool wall and bolt it into place onto the damage sections, but it is likely not worth it.

What do you mean by the dirt around the pool was starting to cave in badly? That sound not good at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.