Need help with my filter system

May 30, 2017
Visalia,CA
Hey all new to the forums and new to the maintaining of the pool my self. So I've had a heck of a time trying to get everything working correctly with my system. I'll start off by saying that this system is an older system, and came with the house when I bought it. That being said I think whoever had the pump or took care of the pool before either messed with it or replaced it with non standard parts. The band that holds the thing together started to leak water out of it.. I'm thinking maybe the Oring or seal is messed up? I only noticed someting was wrong when I was coming back form my little one's performance and heard a unfamilar sound.. I checked the pressure and it showed no pressure at all and there was water around the thing. So I am not sure how long it couldve been running dry?...

20170602_130719.jpg20170602_130734.jpg 20170602_130727.jpg

My main concerns are where can I find the correct parts for my system... and how worried should I be about it running dry if that's the correct term?

I also noticed that the system keeps throwing DE back into my pool... I'm not sure if that's related to all of this. I've fought tooth and nail with my pool this year to get it to this semi cloudy clear green lol, and just as it feels like I'm almost at the point where it'll be nice and clear this happened today.

20170602_130814.jpg

Trying to clear a green pool will quickly clog up a DE filter. When was the last time it was disassembled & cleaned? How high is the pressure on the filter gauge?

What type of test kit are you using to check chlorine levels?

I have a similar set up. You need to lube the o-ring and make sure that the area is clean of dirt when you put back on lid and screw in clamp. Also, below the tank at the bottom is the drain cap. Make sure it has a gasket and is tight. Make sure belly band clamp is on correctly and screw threads are not stripped and that it is securely tightened. Also, make sure that the top of the guage is in the "off" position so your not letting air out.

Trying to clear a green pool will quickly clog up a DE filter. When was the last time it was disassembled & cleaned? How high is the pressure on the filter gauge?

What type of test kit are you using to check chlorine levels?

We disassembled and cleaned it just a few days ago, and I have the standard entry level test kit I guess. But since I don't trust myself I've been taking samples to our local pool supply stores for testing, and they've advised me what's needed.
(A Leslie's and a trusted mom and pop)

Actually where would I need to go if I needed some extra gaskets?

So I got my pool nice and clear but I keep seeing what I assume is DE on the bottom of the pool.. towards the shallow and deep ends? My pool sweeper is moving and working properly but what can cause the DE to keep coming back?

So I got my pool nice and clear but I keep seeing what I assume is DE on the bottom of the pool.. towards the shallow and deep ends? My pool sweeper is moving and working properly but what can cause the DE to keep coming back?

If DE is being blown into the pool you most likely have a failed DE filter grid or a loose/broken top manifold (part that holds down the grids). Best to take apart the filter and remove the grids for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with the above post.

Since you said you're new to this I want make sure you're using the correct type of DE. Some of the big box stores sell DE that is used the gardening & is not suitable for pool filters. If you didn't get the DE at a pool store then make sure its for pool use. Can you post a new pic of the pool?

I agree with the above post.

Since you said you're new to this I want make sure you're using the correct type of DE. Some of the big box stores sell DE that is used the gardening & is not suitable for pool filters. If you didn't get the DE at a pool store then make sure its for pool use. Can you post a new pic of the pool?

I picked up the DE at Leslie's Pool Supply, and I will try and get a picture of the pool in the morning.

Here's a pic of the pool with the DE coming back in. Looks like it mostly sits on the steps
7f0695347aadbe4b9548691c392da13a.jpg
c66f1c1a577d2f71eac3c5d23d4576c1.jpg

I'm not so sure that's DE. You've made a lot progress but the pool is still quite cloudy & that might be dead algae that's settling out of the water.
You need to get one of the recommended test kits & then 'SLAM' the pool. After you get the test kit post your results here.
Once we know the results of the test we can let you know how to proceed.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.