Need help with liner stains after Hurricane

JackMau

Oct 25, 2020
North FL
Hurricane Sally's surge filled our (vinyl liner) pool with several inches of silt, leaves, and vegetation. The pool sat full of the brownish green water for a week before we were able to get it cleaned up. Only organic matter was found in the pool during clean up. We went through the list of shocking, over chlorinating, backwashing, changing our filters, etc... We were left with these stains that, to me, appear to be organic but don't seem to go away by applying chlorine directly to them. We recently tried Oxalic Acid just in case the stains weren't organic but it didn't help. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• pool stain 4.jpg
    pool stain 4.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8205.jpg
    IMG_8205.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8204.jpg
    IMG_8204.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8203.jpg
    IMG_8203.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Some things you might consider are:
1 - The Oxalic acid- how was it applied? Directly to a stain? I agree with borjis, try rubbing a Vitamin C tablet directly on th stain.
2 - Post a fill set of test results. Hopefully you already have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If not, you should consider that as well.
3 - If the Vitamin C tabs don't do anything, it's probably organic. The level of FC you increase to is directly proportional to your current CYA level as see on the FC/CYA Levels. This is why a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit is so important.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm a newb with pools - purchased a house with an inground 13,000 gallon pool two years ago and still trying to figure some of this out. We've had zero issues until the hurricane.
As for how we added the acid, we just sprinkled it around the edges and followed the directions on the container. Not sure how to apply it directly since the stains are on the bottom and the pool is full. I'm going to try the absorbic acid today. Thanks for that tip.

Also, I haven't been using the test kits that were recommended in this thread. I'm taking care of that today too! I didn't realize how important that was....still learning :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.