Need Help Understanding Proper Operation of Heat Pump

Dpye

Mar 13, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Hello TFP community -
I just purchased a Raypak Crosswind 50-I heat pump. Reading through the manual and online forums, I'm seeing conflicting information (and mostly a lack of information) on how to properly operate this thing...most notably:
The display allows me to turn the heater on and off (then set temp, etc). However, it states very clearly that the pump MUST be running at all times when the heater is on, otherwise I will void the warranty (see image below). There is no timer on this heat pump unit, so does that mean I need to keep my pump running 24/7 in order to maintain my temp?
I have read (and am aware) there are built-in protections to turn the unit off if it senses a lack of flow...so in theory when my timer turns off the pump the heat pump will shut down, but that seems more like an equipment protection sequence, rather than how I should "plan" to operate my system.

Related, I am planning to install automation in the future (thinking the Hayward Omnihub), which will operate the heat pump and solve this problem, but I'm not there yet.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

1622330565921.png

The manual is saying if the flow switch fails and the heat pump cooks itself it's not their problem.

For better or worse I use the flow switch on mine to let it turn on and off when the pump starts and stops. Also my pad is below the pool so the heat pump is always full of water. Some pools drain back and could leave the heat pump coil dry.

D,

One option would be to add another timer, or go with a two timer unit. This would be the same as a system with a booster pump.

One timer controls the pump and the other timer controls the heater, but will not come on unless the pump is running.

Could be the original mechanical timers or one of the new electronic units..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Some timers have a fireman's switch connection to disable the heater when the pump is off. Do you have a timer now?

The manual is saying if the flow switch fails and the heat pump cooks itself it's not their problem.

For better or worse I use the flow switch on mine to let it turn on and off when the pump starts and stops. Also my pad is below the pool so the heat pump is always full of water. Some pools drain back and could leave the heat pump coil dry.
Well, I tested this on mine, when the pump turned off the heat pump did as well...showed a code for no water flow. Problem is now with the pump back running the code won't clear and the unit won't start back up. I've tried powering down and back on, as well as shutting power down at the breaker and back on again, but to no avail.

Basic timer without the fireman's switch.

If you have Intermatic T101 or 104 timers they can have an optional 156T4042A Heater Control Switch Kit that will open the fireman's switch on the heater 20 minutes before the timer, usually controlling the filter pump, will shut off. The heater control will prevent the heater from operating EXCEPT when the Time Switch contacts are closed (automatically or manually).

Models that have the 24-Hour Mechanical Time Switch in Enclosure with Pool Heater Protection are:
  • T101P201 - 120V SPST plastic enclosure with Pool Heater Protection
  • T101R201 - 120V SPST metal enclosure with Pool Heater Protection
  • T104P201 - 240V DPST plastic enclosure with Pool Heater Protection
  • T104R201 - 240V DPST metal enclosure with Pool Heater Protection
The 156T4042A Heater Control Switch Kit can be added to any existing T101 or T104 timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.