Need help troubleshooting Polaris P93 Robot Cleaner

kidjake28

Jun 26, 2013
I've had a Polaris P93 pool robot cleaner for about 5 years. Haven't had any issues until recently. Here is what I'm experiencing.

1) When the robot is dry out of water, I am able to start it up. The fan blows upon startup. Obviously with it not being in the water errors out. But the point here is that the fan starts up.
2) When I submerge it under water the fan pushes the robot a foot then errors out (flashing led's).
3) Once it's been submerged for a while it fan no longer starts up. I have to wait until it drys out OR leave the head unit unplugged (discharged) for it to start up again.

I don't have schematics but I do know the following:
1) I've replaced the basket with a new basket. It's a regular basket and not fine mesh.
1) I checked continuity on all 3 pins of the cable (end to end) and there are no breaks.
2) I checked voltage coming out of the head unit (28 volts) which seems to be correct.
3) I took apart the robot and measured the voltage at the end of the cable that plugs into the motor, 28 volts.

So at this point I think it may be the motor but not sure. Has anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
From what you describe it sounds like water leakage into an electrical area causing the shutdowns. Not a voltage problem directly.

kidjake28

Jun 26, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

aj: I think you're right but not sure where it's leaking into and it seems that I would need to replace the whole motor assembly as I don't think you can purchase the motor separately. Is it common for these robots to develop leaks over time?

david: The robot doesn't do wheelies, it just doesn't start after being submerged.

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
What error code is it showing. Did you try running it without basket to see if same happens. The fine mesh can look good but have gunk that clogs it and not let enough water through putting pressure on the motor and shutting it down.

pilotbob3

May 21, 2010
My guess is that water has entered the motor block and is causing intermittent problems. You could disassemble the motor block, see if there is a leak, dry it out, fix the leaking problem and see if it works again. These usually leak when the main seal fails or when one of the seals around the motors fail.