Need Help. Tired of Leslie's

WKEC

May 22, 2020
South Florida
Hello all,

I am new to the forum although I have read several posts in the past. I am at the end of my leash with the pool store method and will be ordering my test kit at the end of this post. Looking for some help from anyone who has a few minutes. My pool has been awesome since I added the SWG a few years ago. Little to no algae and minimal problems. A little acid now and then and occasionally some calcium. Other than that not too bad. Can't seem to find an honest pool store around me and as I read a few other posts it seems to be not just me. I have been battling cloudy water with some light surface algae for the past couple weeks. We have had a good bit of rain and some temperature extremes but as I said I have had good luck with simple fixes in the past. Went to Leslie's yesterday and found the most uninformed person I think I have encountered to date. He was trying to explain things to me like I had no clue (not that I'm a pro by any means) and then as he was explaining them he had to turn their computer print out around and read what it said to then try to explain it to me.

So here is what they came up with
FC 4
TC 4
pH 8
Alkalinity 54
CH 170
CYA 110
Iron 0
Copper 0
Phos 0
Salt 2800

They seemed most worried about the CYA and as I journeyed down google land I discovered that it was a bit too high. Did a partial drain and filling it up as I type. Added some calcium as I filled. Sure my chemicals are going to be all messed up after adding a few thousand gallons of water back into it. Planning for a bag or 2 of salt after I fill it. Just looking for some advice if anyone has a couple minutes. Also, TF 100 or another test kit? It seems they are similar but I like the layout of the TF100.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome! :wave:

Based on thousands of posts I've read here, do not be surprised if your test results are even worse after you get your own kit. You're draining water based on a pool store test. Specifically, the CYA test, which is the one they get wrong most often and by the most. If you decided to replace half, you could end up anywhere from 20 to 120 CYA. I'm not kidding. And CH could be way off as well, because you're working blind.

You'd probably have as much luck testing water like this
9751610b25afc2343becbd4fae805a74.jpg

Get a test kit. The longer you wait, the worse the pool is going to get. The Taylor K2006C and the TF100 use the same tests. Either is fine. Do not let the pool store sell you a K2005. It is not the same.

Welcome! :wave:

Based on thousands of posts I've read here, do not be surprised if your test results are even worse after you get your own kit. You're draining water based on a pool store test. Specifically, the CYA test, which is the one they get wrong most often and by the most. If you decided to replace half, you could end up anywhere from 20 to 120 CYA. I'm not kidding. And CH could be way off as well, because you're working blind.

You'd probably have as much luck testing water like this
9751610b25afc2343becbd4fae805a74.jpg

Get a test kit. The longer you wait, the worse the pool is going to get. The Taylor K2006C and the TF100 use the same tests. Either is fine. Do not let the pool store sell you a K2005. It is not the same.
Thanks for the reply. Kind of how I felt after leaving there yesterday. Just trying to get it somewhat clear for the long weekend.

A proper diagnosis is the first step to a corrective treatment. Take control of your water chemistry with a good test kit and TFP Pool Math.
Your use of the words "pool store method" and "leash" in the same sentence means you understand now. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.