Need help pulling myself out of the bottom of the skimmer basket

Thanks! How often should I check/adjust my CYA during the SLAM? Seems like it would be good to have a current reading just prior to calculating the FC target at each adjustment. I ask because it seems in my case I haven't been able to establish a good repeatable CYA for whatever reason.

Once you get the CYA up to desired level for the SLAM Process you don’t need to waste reagents and check it again. Unless something is not working then you may want to confirm CYA level.

My FC held overnight. This morning showed zero loss. I wasn't expecting that so soon. I'm still scrubbing some holdout areas of the black scourge and haven't pulled my light fixture to clean behind it yet. I've not checked the CC yet because I'm not ready to stop the SLAM. The water looks crystal clear. Should I check the CC or keep it at 10ppm which is my SLAM level? Or..... ?

I think you are right to continue your SLAM, it doesn't hurt to check CC if you want, but since you still have visible algae your water is not considered "clear" so there is no need to check CC. You should continue to maintain your SLAM level as long as you can still see the algae. Once the algae is gone and your water is crystal clear (meaning you can read heads or tails of a coin in the deep end), you can do the OCLT and check CC to see if you can end your SLAM.

It looks like you are getting pretty close! As I recall, for black algae, after your SLAM you should keep the FC elevated for a while to make sure it doesn't come back, but I haven't read the Pool School article on that in a while so it's probably best to refer to that ;)

Any ideas what these two clusters are? I noticed them after I started the SLAM. I've scrubbed them with a stainless brush and them seem unaffected. I can see a few single spots similar in appearance in the deep end. The white cloudy effect is clouds reflecting on the water surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.