Need help on what to balance first

greg w

May 14, 2017
chester pa
Hey guys-

I shocked my pool due to an ammonia problem that had my CC very high. My chlorine levels are down to more manageable levels now so i want to start balancing ph, Alkalinity and CH. Here are my readings right now

FC-9
CC-0
Ph- 7.0 ( 2 drops of reagent got me up to 7.4-7.6 range )
TA- 60
CH-140
CYA- 50

What is the rule as far as what to bring up first? can I do them all at the same time? Thanks in advance

What is your desired TA target? I like to keep mine around 60-70 because my pH tends to drift high. pH should rise naturally, particularly if you have water features or anything that helps aerate the water. If you want to raise it faster, 1 pound of washing soda will raise your TA by ~7ppm and pH by ~.2

CaCl is easily added too and does not impact pH.

Reactions: Ignoramus
You've definitely been doing good research on this, and that is a common industry number. But it usually also leads to excessive acid use and a roller coaster between raising TA and then offsetting the rise with acid. Many (maybe most) TFPers find 60 or 70 to be a really good number.

Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) is a system that has dispelled most (maybe all) of the common pool care myths, and is based on tens of thousands of pools worth of empirical evidence over several decades, backed up by extensive scientific explanation.

The TFPC recommended levels for a plaster pool are found here: Pool School - Recommended Levels
You'll find 70-90+ there for TA, and 70 usually works better than 90

When I started out, I gained a lot from the first two posts in this thread: TFPC for Beginners

Probably most important of all is this article: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Keep on asking! It will all come together quickly and then it all becomes a breeze
Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.